From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Report of the desktop-research meeting.
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:00:11
On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 13:55, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> The purpose of the meeting was specifically not to discuss possible > solutions for solving the "installer" problem. That is actually a > subject of research. If someone else wants to step up as lead that is > good for me. (if you want to do it, I'm ok and I suppose spyderous is > too)
No, I'm little interested in creating an installer personally. The question about spyderous's lead is not one about competence, but as the log shows he doesn't seem to be hot on leading it either. I think that in itself is already an indicator of how spyderous perceives this project. If someone is really interested in doing this, well then he should take lead. Spyderous seems to have taken it, because noone else wanted to and the project was dubbed too important to be dropped or left around for some later point.
> The main point was first on selecting lines of research and starting a > group for actually performing the named research. Things have been going > to slow with research and this is an attempt at getting things going. We > need people to actually do things an getting results.
Yeah i know what the point was, but i hoped it would be more attainable projects that would be chosen.
> To me an installer that is aimed at single-system installs is very much a > desktop topic. It is concerned with the use as workstation. As such this > is a desktop-research topic
'workstation' to me sounds like a business/school/etc (non-home) environment, in such an environment it's usually not the best idea to install per-machine by using some GUI (or not) installer. I can see the use of an installer, that is not my point. It's about the size of this project vs. the non-existent experience of this team as an entity and that it touches much more aspects of Gentoo than the desktop alone. Actually think it's not a desktop project as such, because creating the actual UI is most likely the minor part of the work. - foser -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list