From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Gentoo installer project
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:30:29
On Monday 26 January 2004 21:22, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 15:15, Paul de Vrieze wrote: > > On Monday 26 January 2004 12:10, Dan Armak wrote: > > > AFAICS, the only truly encompassing solution would be to provide an > > > interface of sorts to a console. The user could view and edit commands > > > generated by the installer, see their raw output, pause operation and > > > insert commands of his own, etc. If he wanted to use something not yet > > > provided by the installer, he'd just tell it to skip a step and do it > > > manually. > > > > This comes very close to my "split-screen-installer" idea where the > > bottom would be a console and the top a helper function (ranging from > > simple docs to something way more advanced) > > I say we just have a button somewhere that replaces a certain area of > the screen with a console and can switch back when the user is done > using console for whatever reason. > > We'd also need a way to skip certain steps of the installation, since > they could be done in "manual mode."
Take a look at my reply I just send to esammer. of course it would be even nicer if the user could disable the console if wanted (starting with it would make it's existence obvious). I think it is to be preferred to ctrl-f1 style "console-access" like in redhat-6.x (last installer I used) Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net