From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] thesis - support - question - ideas ...
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 19:28:07
Derek Tracy wrote:
> On 5/3/07, *Johannes Neugschwentner Jr* <neugschwentner@×××××××.at > <mailto:neugschwentner@×××××××.at>> wrote: > > Hi Guys! > > i'm writing a thesis on "the user-centerd desktop". > as part of the thesis i'm doing a prototype too. > > this is something i really longed to do for a long time and am now > about to > start. since i'm under a tight schedule and am not too good a > programmer with > not too much experience it ain't gonna be something big. > > but anyway. read some boox. surfed around. > found the plasma project ( plasma.kde.org > <http://plasma.kde.org>). xinf.org <http://xinf.org> (xinf.org > <http://xinf.org>). screenweaver > hx (http://haxe.org/swhx). of course there is superkaramba ... > > tend to doing it in haxe (eclihaxe + screenweaver hx) ... pretty > sure about > that since the only language i'm really fluent in is actionscript > and haxe is > not far from it (wanted to do it in flex before ... but prefer > haxe since > it's all open source) > > did some research on hci (designing interactions) ... am going to > do empirical > user research .... non-technical-useres .. > am doing some research on the piling metapher and lifestreams & co > at the mom. > > bumptop by the way with it's piling metaphor is really something very > appealing and those guys with their thesis did exactly what i'm > going to do. > (www.bumptop.com <http://www.bumptop.com> ) > > well, i'm not exactly sure what i wanna say or question with this, > but hey, > found out about this mailing list and thought - hey, sounds great, > give it a > shot. > > so if you got any ideas, proposals, whatever, here i am > > Cya, > > -- > Johannes Neugschwentner > > > > Johannes, > > You might want to consider looking at http://www.symphonyos.com/cms/ > they have the most unique approach to a user oriented desktop that I > have seen to date they are using Mozilla engine w/XUL so it shouldn't > be too difficult to program. > > > -- > --------------------------------- > Derek Tracy > tracyde@×××××.com <mailto:tracyde@×××××.com> > ---------------------------------
Unfortunately, SymphonyOS died -- the founder ran out of his own money, essentially. UIs are a *huge* business, and while I applaud and encourage basic research and initiative, it's *very* difficult to turn such research and initiative into cash. That said, the sort of UI that I think of as the "UI of the future" would be a full virtual reality environment with which one could do "whole-body interaction" with a computer. How about an exercise bicycle with a keyboard and mouse on the handlebars? A wall-sized keyboard one could punch with boxing gloves? Drag-and-drop with objects that actually weigh something? -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list