From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] Installer's Target user group
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:50:51
On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 11:45, Paul de Vrieze wrote:

> I personally probably would use the installer for installing. I really have no > desire for entering all the commands on the command line while a click on a > button -> system installed works great with exactly the same result.
Exactly. This installer is based on the GRP platform which afaik depends on some meta packages to make the major choices. The installer should follow those toplevel ebuild choices.
> What might be an alternative would be a splitscreen installer that on the top > of the screen offers a roadmap and a description on what to do. On the bottom > is a commandline on which the actual commands can be given.
That sounds like you just get the manual on top and have to give commands at the bottom. I think what the installer should do is just give a quick and easy path, people using an installer are probably not interested in all those lowlevel commands (otherwise they wouldn't be wanting to use it). - foser -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list