From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop-research@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop-research] One research problem we could research
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:51:46
On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 16:46, dams@×××.fr wrote:
> yeah, that's a big issue actually, but that is related to the i18n problem. > That is, there is no step in the installation to choose your localization, so > that everything takes it in account. pauldv told me it requires changes in > portage.
Hardly, it needs a different approach in some cases. I could see font setup happen all outside of portage, Portage changes take too long to be taken into account and font configuration is pretty centralized these days.
> For the subjective way of testing, of course you are right, but you can test > gentoo by default, then other distro by default, or windows or other OS by > default (for those who have them). So for the same person, you'll be able to > say : this is better than that...
This is still subjective. Gentoo defaults should stay as close as possible to upstream defaults in my opinion.
> That's only theoric, because that involve a lot of testing (test gentoo, 2 > other distros, windows and macos) and multiple testers (from various > locations). > > Maybe we could ask non western testers to help.
Yeah, when a framework is set up and it's about tweaking only. At the moment it is not relevant.
> in flux ?
Things concerning this have been in the works. Actually it is waiting for that until a next step is taken, although it could maybe use an impulse, but this is not all on Gentoo level.
> hmm, what is our duty then? what are the applications that we should check the > look? In addition, I don't want us to correct them, but only to test them, see > if a problem is general or only on 3 ebuilds, sadly used by a big amount of > people.
It's easy to figure out what GUI applications are affected, mostly non-recent GTK/QT apps that use the old ways to handle fonts.
> > Although they are connected, setting up fonts has little to do with > > i18n. > > well, I'm looking for the way to see if the fonts look right in various > language. We can ask volunteers to do that, but it'll take time. If one person > has good knowledge of i18n he might already cover 80% of validation
Nah, as said i18n has little to do with fonts setup, it takes a native reader to assess what fonts look best for a certain language or preferably a lot of them to come to some good agreement. - foser -- gentoo-desktop-research@g.o mailing list