From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: How to mask KDE 4.6.2?
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 09:23:00
1 Alex Schuster posted on Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:35:30 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Marián Kyral writes:
4 >
5 >> I'm using the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--keep-going"
6 >> portage option to ignore missing files. This is enough for me.
7 >
8 > Not for me. I had tried the world update this night, but after a few
9 > packages (kde-env being the only KDE4-one) it failed to download oxygen-
10 > icons, and was unable to resume. Some of the packages that have updates
11 > pending are ffmpeg or glib, I don't understand why missing KDE4 stuff
12 > prevents their update.
13
14 Do you have FEATURES=parallel-fetch enabled? Either that, or doing an
15 emerge --upgrade --fetchonly --keep-going (with --newuse --deep --whatever
16 as you normally do it) should help with that.
17
18 For ffmpeg, etc, it may be that they're inter-related to the kde
19 dependencies in such a way that they don't want to update by themselves,
20 however.
21
22 What I often do here when there's a pending kde update, even when it's
23 available, is do an emerge --update --pretend (--newuse/deep...whatever)
24 piped to grep -v kde. That gives me a list of all the NON-KDE things to
25 upgrade, (grep's -v reverses the grep so it lists anything WITHOUT the
26 grepped term), and I'll then upgrade them first, manually.
27
28 The reasoning is that by breaking huge updates into smaller pieces,
29 they're easier to handle. This is particularly true for openrc, bash,
30 glibc, etc updates, which I like doing by themselves, then testing, before
31 I make any possible problems with such core components (I /am/ running
32 ~arch so they WILL happen from time to time!) more complex by compounding
33 them several times over. But a kde update is so huge by itself, that I
34 prefer doing everything else first, not only the package updates
35 themselves but also the etc-updates and non-kde revdep-rebuilds, before
36 tackling kde, all by itself.
37
38 It works for me, altho sometimes if I've not upgraded for awhile, I end up
39 typing in several packages at a time to upgrade, then several more
40 (sometimes in a different konsole window, running the updates in parallel
41 taking care not to duplicate dependency updates in more than one parallel
42 session), until I get them all done. That may be more bother than some
43 people like, typing the individual packages in manually (either have --
44 oneshot in default-opts or always use it, I have scriptlets that use it by
45 default), but at least here, I've found it easier to do that, than to
46 troubleshoot new problems after the fact, when doing so has been made far
47 more complex because of all the updates I did at the same time. YMMV, but
48 it works for me. =:^)
53 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman