From: "Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch@××××××.com>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:53:43
Donnie Berkholz wrote:

>On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we >improve how we set things up when programs are emerged? > >
Don't know that this is really something that can be fixed, but it took me quite a long while to track down the cause, and it certainly made for a rather poor setup experience. I'm running an nForce III AMD64 machine, and it turns out that the particular on-board sound-card for this machine has a number of "IEC 958" channels which, when un-muted *disable* (normal, analogue) sound output. That is, it is necessary to *mute* them in alsamixer in order to produce any output. Since someone who's trying to get sound working is generally not going to *mute* a channel, there's nothing in the interface to tell you how to solve the problem. Card: NVidia nForce3 Chip: C-Media Electronics CMI9739 Item: IEC958 Capture Valid [Off] I realise that muting particular channels for ALSA is not likely something that can be addressed in an ebuild, but since you asked. Other things that take quite a bit of work (still working on some of them, for that matter) include: * Trying to get a Radeon 7500 video card setup to render via DRI in xorg took at least 5 or 6 iterations of compiling kernels, modifying xorg.conf, rebooting etceteras. * Setting up a Wacom Graphire USB tablet so that it doesn't "stick" a few pixels from the edge of the screen (unsolved as of yet). * Setting up Mozilla Thunderbird to launch Mozilla Firefox on clicking a link in an email (I had to both create a shell script and manually edit prefs.js to get this working (once I found the instructions on how to do it)). * Eliminating the (right-ctrl)+shift "compose" keyboard shortcut in the xorg "Microsoft" keyboard mapping (documented here a while ago). Have fun, Mike ________________________________________________ Mike C. Fletcher Designer, VR Plumber, Coder http://www.vrplumber.com http://blog.vrplumber.com -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list