From: "Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch@××××××.com>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:53:43
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 ...
3
4 >On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we
5 >improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
8 Don't know that this is really something that can be fixed, but it took
9 me quite a long while to track down the cause, and it certainly made for
10 a rather poor setup experience.
11
12 I'm running an nForce III AMD64 machine, and it turns out that the
13 particular on-board sound-card for this machine has a number of "IEC
14 958" channels which, when un-muted *disable* (normal, analogue) sound
15 output. That is, it is necessary to *mute* them in alsamixer in order
16 to produce any output. Since someone who's trying to get sound working
17 is generally not going to *mute* a channel, there's nothing in the
18 interface to tell you how to solve the problem.
19
20 Card: NVidia nForce3
21 Chip: C-Media Electronics CMI9739
22 Item: IEC958 Capture Valid [Off]
23
24 I realise that muting particular channels for ALSA is not likely
25 something that can be addressed in an ebuild, but since you asked.
26
27 Other things that take quite a bit of work (still working on some of
28 them, for that matter) include:
29
30 * Trying to get a Radeon 7500 video card setup to render via DRI in
31 xorg took at least 5 or 6 iterations of compiling kernels,
32 modifying xorg.conf, rebooting etceteras.
33 * Setting up a Wacom Graphire USB tablet so that it doesn't "stick"
34 a few pixels from the edge of the screen (unsolved as of yet).
35 * Setting up Mozilla Thunderbird to launch Mozilla Firefox on
36 clicking a link in an email (I had to both create a shell script
37 and manually edit prefs.js to get this working (once I found the
38 instructions on how to do it)).
39 * Eliminating the (right-ctrl)+shift "compose" keyboard shortcut in
40 the xorg "Microsoft" keyboard mapping (documented here a while ago).
41
42 Have fun,
43 Mike
44