From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] disk partitioning
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:22:25
In general, reiserfs is considered dead by the linux kernel guys, and by it's last remaining maintainer in particular (see http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/09/27/suse-102-ditching-reiserfs-as-it-default-fs/ for his email...) So, you probably want ext3 at this point. There will be an upgrade path from ext3 to ext4, when ext4 is stable. Running a journaled filesystem is completely orthogonal to the underlying storage. You always want a journal on large filesystems, because otherwise you will have huge (linear with the size of the filesystem) fsck times. In addition, a journaled FS is safer than a non-journaled one, w.r.t. data loss. Putting /usr/portage on it's own filesystem shouldn't make a huge difference in performance, especially if it's on the same spindles as other filesystems. /usr/portage is a high access file tree, with the sole exception of syncing. Other than that, it's relatively low access. Things like "emerge -auvDN world" hit the metadata cache fairly hard, but that cache is designed to be fairly quick. So, putting /usr/portage on it's own filesystem will generally only make your system less flexible (even if you use LVM2, which you *definitely* should do). Personally, I run RAID5 on my system, rather than striping. It's almost as fast as striping on all modern systems, and has the huge advantage of being able to recover from disk failure (of which I've had 2 on that system over time). With striping, if a disk goes, you lose everything. Personally, my partition table looks like this: /boot - 100M (or 100M + 2 * memory, if I use a swapfile) swap - 2 * memory (if I don't use a swapfile) / - 10G /home - The rest Except my file server, which has /home - 10G /storage - the rest I do put PORTAGE_TMPDIR in /home/portage, tho, because that can take large amounts of disk over time. Daniel -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list