From: "Nicholas E. Andrade" <sdnick484@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:28:55
1 Quoting Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Lindsay Haisley
4 > <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> wrote:
5 >> And it bails if _any_ ebuild fails, so I
6 >> have to go to the office, figure out the problem, and restart the
7 >> process.
8 >
9 > With a new-enough portage you can use the --keep-going switch to cause
10 > it to emerge everything it possibly can emerge which is not dependent
11 > on the failed package.
12 >
13 > If your system is new enough to support bootable CD/DVD/USB, I'd try
14 > to find a linux live CD which runs the same kernel version that you're
15 > hoping to switch to, and (assuming it works) look at its kernel
16 > config, dmesg, lspci -k, that sort of thing, and try to use it as a
17 > hint for configuring your own kernel on your hardware. You can chroot
18 > into gentoo from the liveCD and do all the kernel compilation stuff
19 > from there so it might be relatively painless.
22 Also if you do choose to go to a kernel newer than 2.6.32, consider
23 trying the "make localyesconfig" which takes a loaded, working kernel
24 (e.g. from a live CD) and creates a .config based on it. For
25 additional info:
26 http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_32#head-11f54cdac41ad6150ef817fd68597554d9d05a5f
32 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.