From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Dependencies of KDE 3
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:05:27
1 E. Liddell posted on Tue, 27 Nov 2012 06:51:47 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Let's see here. Ignore packages with the -meta suffix, first off, since
4 > they're just aggregators for other packages. Secondly, since Portage's
5 > dependency identification sometimes messes up in --keep-going runs,
6 > attempt to individually re-emerge any package that didn't get far enough
7 > to produce a log. Start with the kde-base packages:
8 >
9 >> * (kde-base/kdm-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
10 >> * (kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10-r5::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled
11 >> for merge)
12 >> * (kde-base/konqueror-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
13 >> * (kde-base/kdesktop-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
14 >> * (kde-base/konsole-3.5.10::kde-sunset, ebuild scheduled for merge)
15
16 Note that kdm is only necessary if you use it as a graphical login. If
17 you login at the (CLI) shell and run startx (with kde3 set as your
18 XSESSION), you can avoid it entirely. I've never had it installed here,
19 for kde3 or kde4, as I've preferred a text login and the startx method
20 since my mandrake era, before gentoo (mandrake broke the *dm at one point
21 and I decided I didn't need it working anyway... and have never looked
22 back).
23
24 And if you DO prefer a graphical login, there's other *DMs available.
25 You aren't limited to kdm. So if it won't build for you, you can try one
26 of the others. If I used a *dm and not a shell login, I may be able to
27 list a few more, but there's at least the kde4 kdm, gdm (gtk/gnome), xdm
28 (generic X), and some other, slim dm (sdm?), IIRC. There may be others
29 I'm not aware of.
30
31 Since you already mentioned having gtk2/gnome2 on your system, gdm
32 shouldn't pull in too many additional deps, and xdm similarly. Others, I
33 don't know, except that kdm for kde4 would probably pull in more, if you
34 don't already have kdelibs4 installed, anyway.
35
36 kdebase-startkde provides the session files necessary for a kde xsession,
37 so that's the alternative to kdm for a shell login. I'm not sure whether
38 you can avoid it if you're using a *dm or not, but you'll for sure need
39 it if you're using a CLI/shell login and the startx method, as I do.
40
41 konqueror, kdesktop and konsole are run-time substitutable for other
42 alternatives (say gterm or xterm, there are others, for konsole), but
43 they may provide components that are assumed by other bits of kde (the
44 konsole kpart, for instance, used in kwrite/kate, konqueror, etc), so may
45 be required to build other bits of kde, even if you don't actually use
46 the apps themselves at runtime. And kdesktop is a necessary part of a
47 kde3 session, unless you hack that bit out of the session scripts. It
48 provides the actual desktop root-window, tho if it crashes you can still
49 continue using the rest of the kde session without it, so as I said, you
50 could probably hack it out of the session and replace it with something
51 else if you're desperate.
52
53 But for sure kdm is optional. I KNOW that, since as I said, I don't
54 believe I've used it since well before I switched to gentoo, and I don't
55 believe I've ever had it installed on gentoo since gentoo switched to the
56 split ebuilds (IIRC kde 3.4 era or so, definitely WELL before kde4) and I
57 could thus avoid it. Of course that means the metapackages that pull it
58 in won't install either, but you don't actually need them either, as long
59 as you have all the packages they pull in that you actually want,
60 installed, since all a metapackage is, is a list of other packages as
61 deps, for the convenience of those wishing to install the whole group of
62 dependent packages as one.
67 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman