From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:37:14
Thanks, eamjr56!

On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 07:43 +0000, eamjr56@×××××.com wrote:
> Now that you explained more fully the situation and why and what led > to your problems I understand some of your frustrations. Sometimes > wanting to fix one thing leads to other complex issues. Maybe (being > Gentoo-specific) would be first to build your toolchain > (linux-headers, glibc, binutils,and gcc) to today's versions then a > "emerge -e world" so all of your stuff will be new and > compatable-(your original problem).
The box is scheduled for replacement, as I've noted. The hardware is old, relatively, and has limitations. Additionally, Gentoo has its limitations as a desktop environment, although it's much easier to maintain on servers. As Linux has to some extent penetrated the marketplace, manufacturers are distributing drivers for things like printers as .deb or .rpm files - no joy for Gentoo users :-( My sweetie bought such a printer a while back, and I can't use it for this reason. Pulling packages apart and installing the contents manually is possible, but not simple, and I have other things to do. I'm reluctant to "emerge -e world" on the box because X is seriously out of date, and I've been trying to avoid having to deal with the issue. revdep-rebuild takes days! And it bails if _any_ ebuild fails, so I have to go to the office, figure out the problem, and restart the process. When I get the box so it'll boot properly with a more recent kernel I can at least move in that direction.
> All of this can be done in the background while you keep working. > This is only one option. Feel free to use it or not. Sometimes I cuss > the Gentoo devs for things they do that screws up my installs too.
Gentoo is substantially more complex as a distribution than are others. Subtle screw-ups in ebuilds are more than just an annoyance on my servers, where things break in the background after an emerge and I don't find out until one or more customers calls me and says "**** isn't working!"
> As to your kernel question as to "default" switches in Gentoo > kernel I really don't think there are. Gen-kernel is one answer, but > it never worked for me, I always had to get dirty with "make > menuconfig".
I tried genkernel for a while and didn't like it. For one thing, I recall that it installed an initrd, which introduced a level of complexity that I didn't feel was necessary. I use an initrd on our SOHO gateway box since the root filesystem is managed by EVMS, but I had to manually re-write the initrd filesystem at one point pursuant to a glibc upgrade! Too much work. I assume that there must some mods to or initial setting of the default kernel switches, somewhere, to avoid things such as enabling CONFIG_IDE in a kernel build where it conflicts with recent releases of udev. When I get a few moments to work on it again I'm starting with a new, much more recent kernel and _not_ massaging my .config from a previous kernel for it. I assume the default settings will at very least produce a bootable system and I need only add drivers/modules for my hardware - NIC, sound cards, etc. to get it up and running. I can go in and add stuff later as needed.
> Hope you figure it out. Cheers
Thanks, really. I mean it! With a cooler head and a verified back down plan for any changes I may make (plus the few points of light I received on this list in spite of the misunderstandings), I'm 99% sure I can jump in an fix the problem myself. If I post here with it again, I'll have my presentation of the issue MUCH better organized and thought out. -- Lindsay Haisley |"Windows ..... FMP Computer Services | life's too short!" 512-259-1190 | http://www.fmp.com | - Brad Johnston