From: "Sören Weber" <soesoe@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Problems with ALSA (or only ScummVM?)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:49:27
Hi Mitko, thanks for your answer.

>1) are you using esd or arts? this may lock the device on older versions > >
I tested it a few hours ago because I thought the same way. But I don't have esd, arts, jack or sth like this running on my box..
>2) try updating alsa to the latest version, it may help > >
I already reached the unstable branch ;o)
>3) try setting the SDL_AUDIODRIVER enviroment variable to alsa > >
Done but same problem. Does this overrun the preferences of ScummVM?
>4) update your sdl > >
Already done.
>5) and most importantly - can anything else use alsa? I mean alone, not >if you can have two xmmses running, just if you can output sound through >alsa? > >
Yes, any other application can use ALSA without any problems. Today I found these notifications with dmesg: ALSA /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8/alsa-kernel/pci/ac97/ac97_codec.c:1907: AC'97 1 does not respond - RESET ALSA /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8/alsa-kernel/pci/ac97/ac97_codec.c:1916: AC'97 1 access is not valid [0x0], removing mixer. ALSA /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.8/work/alsa-driver-1.0.8/alsa-kernel/pci/trident/trident_main.c:2991: SI7018: the secondary codec - invalid access I had them, too, while the drivers where compiled into the kernel. Any ideas? Last but not least I found many people in the internet having many different (unusual) problems with AC97. So maybe there's a problem with the driver of it. Or maybe I have to do a little tuning? I already saw some pages for the ~/.asoundrc. Maybe a problem concerning the buffer? Thanks for your help! Sören -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list