From: Roman Zilka <zilka@×××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 08:52:01
1 Please send us your `emerge --info`, /etc/fstab, grub/lilo/smthng
2 config and kernel config for the 2.6.29.
3
4 By the way, why not gentoo-sources-2.6.36-r5? I hope you have a good
5 reason to run a system as ancient as that. Your system is swarming with
6 widely known security holes. I suppose it's theoretically possible to
7 have a desktop protected by some special means from all the real threats
8 an actively used desktop is facing, but I wonder if you use any such
9 means. Also, by upgrading to a little less ancient versions than 2.6.29
10 you won't have the same situation like now boomerang back at you in the
11 near future.
12
13 -rz
16 Lindsay Haisley (Sat, 19 Mar 2011 23:46:06 -0500):
17 > I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.
18 >
19 > I've been running this desktop box using kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 and
20 > have come to the point at which there are too many dependencies and
21 > reverse dependencies, so I _have_ to upgrade to kernel 2.6.29-gentoo-r5
22 > and have been unable to bring the system up in the new kernel. Here's
23 > what's happening.
24 >
25 > The newer kernel requires a newer version of udev, which I emerged. The
26 > system came up with a root device of some sort mounted, I think in
27 > single-user mode, but couldn't mount other devices.
28 >
29 > So I changed the main drive designations to UUID's in /etc/fstab,
30 > re-emerged the newer udev, and tried again. This time I got a message
31 > that the kernel needed a root parameter at boot time. It seems that all
32 > my /dev/hda? drives have been renamed /dev/sda? so I set gave
33 > "root=/dev/sda4" as a kernel parameter and got a little further. After
34 > "Checking root filesystem" in the boot sequence, I got a message that
35 > the UUID for the root filesystem wasn't understood in /etc/fstab.
36 >
37 > So I set the root filesystem in /etc/fstab to /dev/sda4, and got the
38 > same error - that "/dev/sda4" was not understood either, although the
39 > kernel seemed to understand this just fine as a boot parameter, and once
40 > again, I'm dumped into a very limited single-user mode.
41 >
42 > So I'm stuck! I had to boot from a rescue disk, back-version to
43 > udev-141 and revert to kernel 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 to get my desktop back.
44 >
45 > What do I need to put into /etc/fstab to satisfy the kernel? I need to
46 > move forward with this, but I need my desktop system to run my business.
47 > Any _real_ suggestions will be welcome. Please be aware that I'm no
48 > Linux novice, so don't give me novice advice. I've been building,
49 > running, and getting paid to admin Linux systems since 1995.