From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] update world and X.Org 7.1
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:21:18
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Ok, what about nv and nvidia in xorg-x11 7.1? It looks as if I now have to
3 > choose between the open-source nv and the proprietary nvidia in my
4 > make.conf. I used to have both specified so that I could switch between the
5 > two installed drivers, but if I leave both in, with VIDEO_CARDS="nv
6 > nvidia", I get circular, blocking dependencies. Pro tem I just have nv in
7 > there, but if I want to use the nvidia driver I'll have some fiddling to
8 > do.
9
10 That's because Nvidia hasn't released drivers compatible with X.Org 7.1
11 yet, and I have no idea when it will do so.
12
13 You have a few options:
14 1) Stop using binary drivers until Nvidia releases a fixed one, and
15 upgrade to 7.1
16 2) Mask 7.1 locally, and continue to use binary drivers.
17 3) Ignore the ABI break, copy the nvidia ebuilds to your overlay and
18 remove the blocker on 7.1. A lot of fonts will look like crap and your
19 server may crash on minor driver errors rather than handling them
20 gracefully.
21
22 Hope that helps,
23 Donnie