From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:22:24
1 On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 13:09, Spider wrote:
2 > device access to cdrom's and cdrw with udev default settings. especially
3 > on IDE where /dev/cdroms/* and /dev/cdrom are symlinks, the device is
4 > created as hd? , which in turn is given the access of the "disk" group
5 > rather than the "cdrom" or "cdrw" groups.
6 >
7 > This effecitvely ruins cdburning and ripping for any and all users !=
8 > root or != disk access.
9 >
10 > And really. I wouldn't give disk access to -any- user.
11
12 What's the bug # for this?
13
14 > USB sticks. just doesn't work by default , configuration and magic is
15 > required.
16 > (hald + fstab-sync solves this)
17
18 Do we have how to set this up documented anywhere? Probably could fit
19 somewhere in the Desktop Documentation section.
20
21 > Multi user environment. Nope, doesn't work out of the box. pam does
22 > nasty magic on the audio devices fex.
23
24 Do you know which bugs are opened on this?
25
26 > Language settings, including a way of personalizing it per-user.
27
28 Is there anything we can do about this?
29
30 Thanks for the great comments.
31 --
32 Donnie Berkholz