From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] dbus upgrade problems
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 01:21:16
I'm trying to do an upgrade on my Gentoo desktop system.  One of the pieces
that's in need of upgrading is dbus, from v0.62-r2 to v1.0.2, and in fact the
former blocks the latter so I can't upgrade anything else until I do the dbus
upgrade.  revdep-rebuild indicates that dozens of packages are broken by the
dbus upgrade!

The most important of these packages for my work is evolution, which is flakey
at best and drives me crazy at times, but I depend on it so I'm careful to not
do anything to disable it.  So I upgraded dbus, and then tried to upgrade
evolution, but the ebuild fails with the following:

grep: /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.la: No such file or directory
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[3]: *** [libeconduit.la] Error 1
grep: /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.la: No such file or directory
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.la' is not a valid libtool archive
make[3]: *** [libeutil.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/evolution-2.8.2.1/work/evolution-2.8.2.1/e-util'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/evolution-2.8.2.1/work/evolution-2.8.2.1/e-util'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/evolution-2.8.2.1/work/evolution-2.8.2.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Indeed, the dbus upgrade nuked /usr/lib/libdbus-glib-1.la.  Shouldn't the
configure script for evolution detect that this file is absent and compensate
for its absence, or fail in configure so the ebuild never gets this far?

I downversioned dbus to where it was before and things are working normally
again, but I'm stuck until I can figure out how to re-emerge evolution if I
upgrade dbus.  Can anyone advise me?

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |    creativity is like   |      available at