From: Adam Mooz <adam.mooz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Installation - Kernel panic
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 22:26:40
1 You might have accidently disabled support for your filesystem in the
2 kernel. Make sure it's enabled, and try again :).
3
4 On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Mansour <mansour77@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Hello,
7 > I am trying to install gentoo on a desktop machine. I downloaded the
8 > minimal CD and followed the instruction in the quick installation. Now, I
9 > have a problem either in the grub configuration or in kernel and I need help
10 > to figure this one out.
11 >
12 > I have existing partitions for windows and my previous Fedora (/home
13 > directory), therefore I installed gentoo on /dev/hda3. The problem is I get
14 > a kernel panic when I try to boot. In grub I am using (hd0,2) as my root,
15 > because I don't want to write anything to the mbr. After editing grub.conf,
16 > I run a grub shell, and execute the commands root(hd0,2) then setup(hd0,2).
17 > Then tried to reboot.
18 >
19 > Here the relevant part of grub.conf:
20 > ============================
21 > title Linux
22 > root (hd0,2)
23 > kernel (hd0,2)/boot/kernel root=/dev/hda3
25 >
26 > I don't have a separate partition for boot, it's on the root "/"
27 > filesystem.
28 >
29 > Can anyone tell what's going on ? If there's missing info please let me
30 > know, as everyone has different way when troubleshooting a problem.
31 >
32 > --
33 > gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list