From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 02:39:27
On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 21:13 -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> I also suspect What Jean-Marc said is the problem. I'd recommend > completely disabling everything in the old ATA section to ensure it > doesn't attempt to control any devices, while building the PATA driver > into the kernel and using root=/dev/sdXN in the grub parameters.
If I use the stock configuration from the 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 kernel, won't this have the correct basic kernel facilities built in, at least as far as the deprecated IDE capabilities are concerned and the libata replacement? I assume the Gentoo devs modify kernels so that the default config settings are more appropriate than those which come with the vanilla kernel from the kernel devs, yes? Putting "root=/dev/sda4" on the kernel cmd line in grub actually worked, and got me a bit further in the boot process. The kernel obviously understood it. However later in the boot process, I got "Checking the root filesystem", following by an error message that the root filesystem spec of /dev/sda4 wasn't understood. This is a complaint about the root fs spec is in /etc/fstab, since I had been using a UUID spec there, and got an error at the same point in the boot-up about the UUID instead.
> The module approach should also work, but I always get a little > suspicious that it might build something else into the kernel > unnecessarily that causes problems.
I don't know. According to the the ebuild notes with udev, the IDE facility in the kernel is completely depricated and needs to be turned off entirely to prevent unexpected results. If I build IDE as a module, my concern is that the module will get auto-loaded and I'll be back in the same boat. So I'll use a more recent kernel and turn IDE off altogether and we'll see what happens.
> > > My next step is to completely rebuild the kernel, using the config built > > into the distributed kernel source, making only the necessary mods for > > the box's hardware needs. I'll find a time window during the next few > > days to work on this. > > It might be a worthwhile step to boot from a LiveCD and run `lspci -k` > to identify the kernel modules.
lsmod will probably give the same useful information.
Nope. The my rescue CD is up-to-date. Thanks! -- Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works if you let it" FMP Computer Services | (The Roadie) 512-259-1190 | http://www.fmp.com |