From: Collins Richey <crichey@×××××.com>
To: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>, gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Kernel_2.6/devfsd/SCSI/USB/Digital Camera problem
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:34:47
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:23:10 -0500, Lindsay Haisley
<fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> wrote:

> I have a digital camera which connects to my Linux desktop system via a USB > port. Under kernel 2.4.20-r9, when the camera is connected, devfsd creates > /dev/scsi/host4 (there is already a valid host1, host2 and host3). > /dev/scsi/host4/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 is the CF card in the camera, and > can be read as a FAT filesystem drive. When the camera is turned off and > disconnected, the file heirarchy under /scsi/host4 remains there, except for > part1, the actual CF card. > > With kernel 2.6.8-r10 the situation is fubar. Each time the camera is > turned off and on, another file heirarchy is created under /dev/scsi for the > camera, and the previous /scsi/host* trees created when the camera was > connected previously remain, but contain no devices.
A perfectly valid question. I can't explain the behavior for devfs, but you should be able to cure the problem by moving over to udev. You can add a udev paramter to insure that the camera always mounts as some specific device, example /dev/sda?. udev does not use the complex /dev/scsi/host4/bus0/target0/lun0/part? nomenclature. Some devfs guru may be able to help you, but if it's a bug, you're sol. devfs has been deprecated. You'll be better off making the effort to get udev/coldplug up and running. There are a few little wrinkles with nvidia and sound cards, but all in all udev is sweet. There's a gentoo udev howto and lots of info on forums. HTH, -- /\/\ (CR) Collins Richey \/\/ "I hear you're single again." "Spouse 2.0 had fewer bugs than Spouse 1.0, but the maintenance ... was too much for my OS." - Glitch (tm) -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list