From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:37:35
On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 21:39 -0500, Dale wrote:
> One other thing since this appears to be a PATA/IDE driver issue, make > sure you remove the old IDE part in the kernel. I forgot that on my > system when I switched from the old IDE drivers to PATA.
I turned it into a module, but the module may have been auto-loaded. I didn't check.
> Also, if you use grub, you may be able to learn if things are laid out > the way you think they are. I had two IDE drives attached to the mobo > and one SATA drive attached to a SATA PCI card. I expected the kernel > to see the drives attached to the mobo first then the drive connected to > the SATA card. It didn't work that way. I used grub to figure out that > it was seeing the drive attached to the card first then the drives > attached to the mobo.
I don't think this is the issue. The rescue disk brings up all of the drives, including some LVM drives on the mapper device, which are built on top of RAID-1 pairs. Although in a boot w.o. the rescue disk, the kernel recognizes the root filesystem when I spec it with /dev/sda4 in grub.conf, this recognitions seems to be lost later in the boot process. There may be some conflicts. /dev/hda1 is a VMware partition, which becomes /dev/sda1 in newer kernels. /dev/sda1 is also a SATA partition which is part of a RAID-1 array. The Linux RAID-1 and LVM stuff seem to pretty much take care of themselves, as long as the RAID and device-mapper drivers are available in the kernel or as modules, and this seems tangential to the problem. -- Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works if you let it" FMP Computer Services | (The Roadie) 512-259-1190 | http://www.fmp.com |