From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:17:17
1 Lindsay Haisley posted on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:41:24 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 >> > Let's just bring this back to technical discussion of the problem,
4 >> > shall we? I think that's what's needed here.
5 >>
6 >> Let me try one more time, then. On my original reply you only
7 >> responded to the top half. In the second part I asked a question about
8 >> whether you're running an initrd/initramfs
9 >
10 > Duncan, I'm very sorry to have overlooked your question (twice)! Please
11 > accept my apology. The answer is no, on the box is question, I'm not
12 > running an initrd/initramfs, and unless it's necessary I would rather
13 > not do so. If I were, this would be one explanation for the problem.
14
15 I'm absolutely with you on that. If you don't need an initr*, it
16 definitely makes the whole thing simpler to avoid it (as I too have done).
17
18 (FWIW, my style is to make my opinion known, but go ahead and deal with
19 the question too, to the extent that I can. You saw the opinion part and
20 skipped the rest, which is understandable, I suppose... In any case it's
21 straight now.)
22
23 >> I'm still waiting on an answer to that, but as I spent quite some time
24 >> on the details the first AND second time, I'll simply refer you back to
25 >> them this time.
26 >
27 > Thanks for following up. I'll re-read your posts and get back on this.
28 > I haven't been able to follow up on the problem. It's planting season
29 > here and beyond doing email I've been kinda tired and not up for late
30 > night hacking after a day spent building a greenhouse or whatever. At
31 > this point, with a cooler head and a verified back out path, I'm 99%
32 > sure I can solve the problem myself. I was kind of freaked out when
33 > this problem originally happened since I depend so heavily on the
34 > desktop system for company billing, website development, customer
35 > support, etc.
36
37 Panicking is certainly understandable, particularly coming at an already
38 busy time of year. But that's behind us now. And simply having no time
39 to deal with it for a few days is something I'm sure we all deal with,
40 especially when there ends up a social crisis to deal with too. Sometimes
41 it's all just too much and something has to give. When that's finally
42 realized and done... it's like venting steam from an overheated nuclear
43 reactor (apropos comparison ATM, if I do say so =:^), it might mean a
44 slightly elevated immediate issue, but tends to deescalate the entire
45 situation.
46
47 Meanwhile, now we know the fork in the path to take. Without an initr*,
48 the fact that you get even a limited userspace (not just a kernel panic)
49 means that the kernel has the necessary drivers to get to and do the
50 initial load of the rootfs. The problem must be beyond that, in the
51 userspace config, initscripts or binaries.
52
53 At this point I'd guess something like the udev/kernel-config-deprecated-
54 sysfs issue someone else mentioned.
59 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman