From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] VMware Workstation 6.0?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:16:59
1 On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 18:37 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 13:14:01 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > > > Gentoo don't distribute it, they only distribute a bash script and a
5 > > > couple of patches. The rest comes from VMware. Distributing VMware
6 > > > isn't really an issue anyway, I have distributed many tens of
7 > > > thousands of copies, all within VMware's licence terms.
8 > >
9 > > Actually, we do distribute it. We mirror the VMware Workstation
10 > > tarballs, which is entirely within the license.
11 >
12 > Fair point, I suppose what I was trying to say is that you don't
13 > distribute a Gentoo VMware package, as other distros would have to. Even
14 > if the licence didn't permit mirroring, you'd still have the builds in
15 > portage, but with fetch restriction (I take it the beta ebuilds are fetch
16 > restricted).
17
18 Correct on both counts.
19
20 To be honest, we're one of the few distributions that can have any
21 VMware packages in our repository. This because we're source-based, of
22 course. That's not saying that a package couldn't be created for other
23 distributions, but it would be a mix of binary and source-based
24 installs, such as a RPM that installed VMware Workstation, then ran
25 vmware-config.pl afterwards to get the kernel modules.
26
27 One of my future goals for everything VMware is to remove the need to
28 run vmware-config*.pl for them and replacing that code with ebuild code.
29 In other words, you might be configuring your VMware based on USE flags
30 and emerge, rather then using vmware-config*.pl after installing. This
31 will also mean you'll only ever need to update vmware-modules on a
32 kernel recompile. Running vmware-config*.pl will no longer be
33 necessary.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
38 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
39 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
40 Gentoo Foundation