From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] VMware Workstation 6.0?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:16:59
On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 18:37 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 13:14:01 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote: > > > > Gentoo don't distribute it, they only distribute a bash script and a > > > couple of patches. The rest comes from VMware. Distributing VMware > > > isn't really an issue anyway, I have distributed many tens of > > > thousands of copies, all within VMware's licence terms. > > > > Actually, we do distribute it. We mirror the VMware Workstation > > tarballs, which is entirely within the license. > > Fair point, I suppose what I was trying to say is that you don't > distribute a Gentoo VMware package, as other distros would have to. Even > if the licence didn't permit mirroring, you'd still have the builds in > portage, but with fetch restriction (I take it the beta ebuilds are fetch > restricted).
Correct on both counts. To be honest, we're one of the few distributions that can have any VMware packages in our repository. This because we're source-based, of course. That's not saying that a package couldn't be created for other distributions, but it would be a mix of binary and source-based installs, such as a RPM that installed VMware Workstation, then ran vmware-config.pl afterwards to get the kernel modules. One of my future goals for everything VMware is to remove the need to run vmware-config*.pl for them and replacing that code with ebuild code. In other words, you might be configuring your VMware based on USE flags and emerge, rather then using vmware-config*.pl after installing. This will also mean you'll only ever need to update vmware-modules on a kernel recompile. Running vmware-config*.pl will no longer be necessary. -- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering Strategic Lead Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee Gentoo Foundation