From: "E. Liddell" <ejlddll@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Packaging Trinity--looking for help
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 18:05:16
1 The short version: we're looking for someone with knowledge of
2 autotools, ebuilds, and, ideally, the eclasses from kde-sunset
3 (which is why I'm posting this here) who's willing to contribute a
4 bit of time to help us unravel a mysterious build failure.
5
6 The long version: Trinity, the fork of KDE3, is currently in the
7 middle of converting from the old autotools-based KDE build system
8 to a more maintainable setup based on cmake.
9
10 I'm part of a small group of people (currently two-and-a-fraction)
11 trying to package Trinity for Gentoo and related distros (for a little
12 info on where we're at, see
13 http://wiki.hasnoname.de/tde:trinity-overlay_on_funtoo_gentoo ).
14 What we've found is that the packages that have already been
15 converted to cmake can easily be wrapped with ebuilds, but some
16 of the autotools-based packages break.
17
18 Upstream is not doing anything but the most vital fixes to the
19 autotools system—they're really short on manpower. That means
20 creating a patch to handle the problem until the cmake conversion
21 is complete, which is likely to be at least a year in the future . . . and
22 this is where our group is running into problems, because we don't
23 have anyone who understands Makefile syntax at the level needed
24 to grasp everything going on in the old build system.
25
26 The best we've managed to be able to do is get the builds to reach
27 the linker stage, where they break due to missing libraries which we
28 seem to be unable to reinject—append-libs and various methods of
29 manipulating LDFLAGS within the ebuilds seem to do nothing. Our
30 attempts to work on the build system itself have so far only resulted
31 in it failing earlier.
32
33 <small_voice>Help?</small_voice>