From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] udev, fstab, and fsck at boot.
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:04:29
On Friday 19 November 2004 20:47, Chris Barker wrote:
> Anyway, the reason I got confused was that the fstab that came with the > udev package had "BOOT", "ROOT", and "SWAP" in it with NO explanation > that those were placeholders. They looked to me like they might be magic > names that udev figured out for you. The fact that my system worked > reinforced this idea. So:
Actually the manual CLEARLY states that they must be replace. Of course adding it to the file itself is not a bad idea. You can however also use partition labels and it will work.
> Another thought: Is there a way for portage to tell the difference > between an install and an upgrade? and if an upgrade, what version is > being upgraded from? In an upgrade, there is no need install a new > config file unless the features or syntax of that config file has > changed. In this case, I can think of no reason that I would ever have > needed a new fstab after upgrading udev, and a BIG reason to keep the > old one. It would be nice of portage could figure this out for me and > not make me figure it out myself. Indeed, if there has been a change in > features or syntax, I'd love to know what those changes are, in some > easy to access place.
fstab should never update in any case, or the update should be based on the current version. For updating trivial changes automatically, try dispatch-conf. It's a lot more sophisticated than etc-update Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net