From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:17:33
On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 21:44 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> Portage may not be smart enough to work around selective use of unstable > packages. e.g., I've had to use lm-sensors-2.8.8 (masked with ~x86) to get > the package working, and have had to add a line to /etc/portage/package.mask > to keep 'emerge -u world' from downgrading the package. If I set > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" then portage wants to upgrade _everything_ to > unstable. Not good! So with "<sys-apps/lm-sensors-2.8.8" in package.mask, > I get the following:
Delete lm-sensors from package.mask and add it to package.keywords as follows: sys-apps/lm-sensors ~x86 This will make portage always install the ~x86 version of the package.
> Quite frankly, I liked the -U ebuild option, which solves the problem, but > apparently -U is going to go away.
Correct. It is superseded by package.keywords usage. We don't remove functionality without having a good reason. The -U option was really ugly and didn't work well with dependencies. The package.keywords route works perfectly and is the way we will be supporting in the future.
> I know this is all rather OT for this list, but I appreciate the knowledge > and advice!
-- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager Games - Developer Gentoo Linux