From: "V. Ram" <vramml0@××××××××.fm>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] kde-sunset: qt-meta-3.3.8b-r2 build failure with libpng < 1.5
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 20:29:26
Hello all and particularly kde-sunset team members:

I did a fresh installation of gentoo from scratch, AMD64, with all
stable packages and no keywords.  I setup the kde-sunset overlay as per
http://www.linuxized.com/2009/11/how-to-keep-your-kde-3-5-after-its-removed-gentoos-tree-using-the-kde-sunset-overlay/
.

libpng is at 1.4.8-r1 (stable)

During the emerge for kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10-r5 , the
qt-meta-3.3.8b-r2 build failed with:

kernel/qpngio.cpp:1153:48: error: png_process_data_pause was not
declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [.obj/release-shared-mt/qpngio.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/tmp/portage/x11-libs/qt-meta-3.3.8b-r2/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.8b/src'
make: *** [sub-src] Error 2
emake failed

It looks like this may be due to the application of the libpng 1.5 patch
from bug# 384953 without first checking to to see what version of libpng
is installed.

I'm not sure what I ought to do at this point.  if I try to use libpng
~amd64 , I get a block with gdk-pixbuf-2.24.0-r1 .  I've also read that
revdep-rebuild with the libpng update is still problematic and that some
applications still do not work with with libpng 1.5 .

Suggestions on the best path forward?

Also, independently, it looks like there are no ebuilds for hal any more
even though the kde-sunset packages look for the hal USE flag.  I was
never a big fan of hal, but automounting of media under KDE 3.5 is still
nice to have, and as I understand it, without hal, that will no longer
occur.  Any recommendations on this issue as well?

Thank you.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...