From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Mozilla, seamonkey ??
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:11:33
1 Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > Thus spake Donnie Berkholz on Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 02:06:25AM CDT
3 >> Lindsay Haisley wrote:
4 >>> Seamonkey isn't installed so it shouldn't be blocking anything. I don't want
5 >>> it installed. Mozilla _is_ installed, and I don't want to un-install it. I
6 >>> can't run this update until this is resolved.
7 >>>
8 >>> Should I report this as a bug?
9 >> No, seamonkey is the replacement for mozilla. The old mozilla package is
10 >> full of security holes and no longer maintained by upstream, so we're
11 >> transitioning all packages using it to either seamonkey or firefox, if
12 >> possible.
13 >
14 > Thanks, Donnie. Tobias Heinlein said I ought to use 'firefox' instead of
15 > 'mozilla' in my USE flags. Does this square with current recommended practice
16 > from the Gentoo devs? I note that unmerging mozilla nukes galeon, on which I
17 > depend. Galeon will USE firefox (which I assume provides its rendering
18 > engine), but not seamonkey.
19
20 Well, USE=firefox or USE=seamonkey, depending on how you want to go.
21 galeon-2.0.1-r2 at least uses seamonkey, I just looked at it.
22
23 > Is this issue documented anywhere? Is there a periodic newsletter to which I
24 > can subscribe which will keep me up to speed with these changes, similar to
25 > what the Debain Weekly News does for Debian?
26
27 There is the GWN [1]. I'm unsure whether it has published anything about
28 this.
29
30 > Mozilla may be old and fusty, but it's the browser that emerged like a a
31 > phoenix from the MS/Netscape "browser wars" partly as a result of Eric
32 > Raymond's famous "The Cathedral and The Bazaar" essay. I know the mozilla code
33 > is a nightmare to work with, but it's certaily a venerable piece of work and I
34 > hope, if only for that reason, that it continues to be available as an ebuild
35 > in Gentoo.
36
37 Seamonkey, for all intents and purposes, _is_ mozilla and will be the
38 continuation of it. The 'mozilla' ebuild will be disappearing.
39
40 Thanks,
41 Donnie
42