From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Vulnerabilities on an RFC-1918 masqueraded Linux box.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:07:56
1 On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 19:30 +0100, Roman Zilka wrote:
2 > > > I suggest quitting this discussion. It's getting way
3 > > > off-topic, too general and unfit for this mailinglist, as all these
4 > > > questions can be answered by checking sources someone else has
5 > > > previously spent their time on writing.
6 > >
7 > > Roman, are you a moderator on this list? The Gentoo website describes
8 > > it as a "Mailing list devoted to Gentoo on the desktop" so I assumed
9 > > that Gentoo desktop security was an appropriate topic.
10 > >
11 > > That having been said, perhaps you might recommend a few of the best
12 > > "sources someone else has previously spent their time on writing" since
13 > > you seem to have knowledge of these, and I'll be happy to let the thread
14 > > drop.
15 >
16 > This is exactly what this mailinglist primarily isn't for: re-relling
17 > stories Google can tell better, answering questions Google can answer. I
18 > say "primarily" - an off-topic off-shot here and there can't harm
19 > anyone, but we've had some already. If the list didn't have this policy
20 > and if it didn't more or less stick to it, it would have become a chat
21 > room for anyone who just doesn't want to take the time to search for
22 > themselves and instead opts for the lazier choice: just ask others,
23 > it's easier.
24
25 Well I didn't see anything about this in the list description on the
26 Gentoo website. I guess there's a list description that you apparently
27 know about that I missed. On friendly lists, people give useful
28 references when asked for them and don't suggest that others are "lazy"
29 when asking for them.
30
31 > I know it because I've been monitoring this list for years
32 > (read-only, for the most part). As you say: the list is for Gentoo on
33 > desktops. Not for general Linux security discussion. True, Gentoo is
34 > Linux, but we're here for Gentoo specifically. Otherwise we could just
35 > call the list "the list on everything" because, for example, Gentoo
36 > runs on CPUs and CPUs are in desktops, so random chat about CPU-related
37 > stuff is related to Gentoo on desktops. The same for any piece of
38 > hardware, and more than that. You get the idea.
39
40 Oh! Well that's abundantly clear!
41
42 > You boldly state that you'll be happy to drop this thread if certain
43 > conditions of yours are met. It sounds like you believe only you decide
44 > whether the thread is dropped or not and when. Well, it's not true.
45
46 C'est la vie. I politely asked you for a reference or two on the
47 subject, which you could have given me off list, if you'd wanted, using
48 far fewer words than you've used here to berate me. Others on this list
49 have been more generous, thoughtful and polite.
50
51 Perhaps you would also be kind enough to refrain from commenting further
52 on my Gentoo desktop booting problem, which is obviously a general
53 _Linux_ problem, and probably not appropriate for this forum either.
54 I've asked Jorge in private email for suggestions for a more appropriate
55 forum in which to pursue it. In any event, your participation on _that_
56 thread, while minimally helpful, has mostly yielded more heat than
57 light.
58
59 And if you're not the moderator on this list, then who is, and would the
60 moderator please point me, via private email, to a full description of
61 what's appropriate and not appropriate for discussion on this list? -
62 something more complete than the simple, rather general description
63 which I read on <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml>. Roman, since
64 you seem to know a great deal about it, perhaps _you_ could point me
65 such a description. I'm really not lazy, I just can't seem to find it.
66 Please excuse me if I don't just take your word for it, but I don't see
67 gentoo.org in your email address, and it's not clear to me that you have
68 any more authority than I do in the matter.
71 Lindsay Haisley | "Real programmers use butterflies"
72 FMP Computer Services | - xkcd
73 512-259-1190 |
74 http://www.fmp.com |