From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Knotify4 does not detect inserted CD/DVD and/or USB-Disks
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:03:57
Jakob Kummerow posted on Sun, 17 Apr 2011 12:58:56 +0200 as excerpted:

> (1) update KDE to 4.6.x (IMHO it's better overall than 4.4.x ever was, > YMMV)
YMMV indeed. While I'd definitely recommend updating to a later 4.5, as in 4.5.4 or 4.5.5, that won't do away with the hal dependency for device detection and automounting. I personally had no problems with 4.6.0 or 4.6.1, but 4.6.0 being the first in the 4.6 feature series it wasn't really considered ready for stable, and 4.6.1 had a number of regressions -- kde's switching svn -> git and some of the tarball components got pulled from the wrong location. Still, either of those were reasonably fine by me. (It's worth noting in context, however, that for whatever reason, auto-detection worked for me in 4.6.1 but not in 4.6.0). 4.6.2 has been worse, and from the kde-linux and kde-general lists I participate in upstream, I'm not the only one to find it so. One of the bigger problems seems to be if you have dual monitors, so if you don't commonly run with more than a single monitor, 4.6.2 might be fine. But apparently, 4.6.2 plasma has problems figuring out which monitor the panels should be on and their size, as I have problems with one of mine insisting that it belongs on the wrong monitor, at every kde start (or plasma-desktop restart, if I terminate and restart it manually, as I do occasionally), and another poster mentioned problems with it being on the correct edge for him, but at the wrong location and size. Both of us have to reset the one panel every time we restart kde or plasma-desktop. So 4.6.1 was the best in the 4.6 series for me, since both plasma and device detection worked, while one or the other has been broken for me on 4.6.0 and 4.6.2. But 4.6.2 should be fine for single-monitor folks. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman