From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Dependencies of KDE 3
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 00:02:56
1 Igor Korot posted on Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:50:34 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > Hi, guys,
4 > I got mDNSResponder and restarted emerge.
5 > It went OK for some time and then stopped with following:
6 >
7 > * Messages for package kde-base/ksvg-3.5.10:
8 >
9 > * ERROR: kde-base/ksvg-3.5.10 failed (install phase):
10 > * emake install failed.
11
12 OK, you got thru the build phase, but kde3 used to (for me, it's used to,
13 I've been on kde4 since before kde3 got "sunset") do an awful lot in the
14 install phase as well, and that's what's screwing up. (Note that the
15 "install phase" is still the "fake install", to the location under
16 $PORTAGE_TMPDIR, the real install is called qmerge, and simply copies
17 everything from the fake install under $PORTAGE_TMPDIR to the live
18 system.)
19
20 But....
21
22 > * The specific snippet of code:
23 > * emake DESTDIR="${D}" destdir="${D}" install || \
24 > * die "emake install failed.";
25
26 > * The complete build log is located at
27 > '/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/ksvg-3.5.10/temp/build.log'.
28
29 ... you included the portage error, but not the make install
30 log with its error... and you didn't include an emerge --verbose
31 --pretend or similar, to see the USE flags it used, either!
32
33 The easiest way to find the first error is often to either grep for or
34 open the log file in your favorite editor and search for, "error". With
35 a lot of packages the first few hits will be on errorlog or whatever
36 modules, but then you'll start hitting the errors that triggered the
37 die. You'll want to post at least the code surrounding the first one.
38 (I usually backup from there until I find the "entering whatever-subdir"
39 line before the error, and post from there thru the "leaving whatever
40 subdir" line after the error, when I bug-file, then attach the whole
41 build-log as well, just in case it's needed.)
44 > * IMPORTANT: 3 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
45 > * Use eselect news to read news items.
46
47 Unlikely to be apropos here, but you let news items build up without
48 reading them? You /do/ realize that's a good way to get an unbootable
49 system or the like, because you failed to follow the instructions in the
50 news items and thus didn't do the necessary updates that they warned you
51 about, right?
52
53 Ideally, you read news items right away, before emerging anything (at
54 least once eselect itself is merged), just as you always either to an
55 emerge --pretend --verbose first or use emerge --ask, to see what it's
56 going to do and check its sanity (plus look for any USE flag changes and/
57 or what the flags are on new packages, making changes as necessary),
58 before actually letting portage do it.
59
60 Similarly, after you're done with your updates, it's always a good idea
61 to run revdep-rebuild, etc-update (or the like), and emerge --depclean
62 (don't forget the --ask/--pretend first!), to keep the cruft to a minimum.
67 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman