From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] udev, fstab, and fsck at boot.
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:00:21
On Friday 19 November 2004 07:58 am, Tim Weber <Tim Weber
<gentoo.list@×××××××.de>> wrote:
> On Friday 19 November 2004 05:33, Drake Wyrm wrote: > > At 2004-11-18T09:03:58-0500, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> > > wrote: <snip> > > > > > A better solution is (as always, in my opinion with > > > system-affecting files such as this) to instead provide a > > > fstab.example, or not to provide an fstab via portage, at all. > > > > I rather have to disagree. *.example files and other > > documentation-related goodies in my /etc directory annoy me, but a > > well-commented config file with some reasonable defaults is a dream > > to work with. > > I agree absolutely. I was a bit disappointed when it happened to > make.conf; because I really liked, for example, the list of allowed > -march settings. And I think that you will scare users (especially the > genkernel type) if you let them write their fstab completely by hand. > > Of course, they wouldn't really need to write it by themselves, because > they'd have some .example files. But I strongly dislike the idea of > putting them inside /etc.
Agreed. While I would rather have an example file instead of potentially overwriting my customized config files, I don't want the clogging up my directory listings. Example files should go elsewhere, files that must be customized (like fstab) should not be in portage, and the others -- well, I can live with etc-update asking me everytime. -- Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.com> ICQ: 514984 YM: DaTwinkDaddy AIM: DaTwinkDaddy http://csce.uark.edu/~bss03 -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list