From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Nvidia video problems
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:07:10
1 Thus spake Andreas Karlsson on Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 09:26:51AM CDT
2 > On Wednesday 19 July 2006 11:27, Duncan wrote:
3 > > Andreas Karlsson <hermes@××××.se> posted
4 > > 200607180008.37297.hermes@××××.se, excerpted below, on Tue, 18 Jul 2006
5 > >
6 > > 00:08:35 +0200:
7 > > I don't see it as... annoying; I see it as... challenging! =8^)
8 >
9 > The only thing that annoys me is when things go realy bad and almost screws up
10 > real bad, like the Bash upgrade not so long ago. Otherwise I share you point
11 > of view. It is fun. As long as I don't have to boot of a live cd to fix
12 > things.
13
14 The tradeoff here is that there has to be a time for play and a time for work
15 (or I might say a time for "creative play" and a time for "productive play").
16 One of the problems I run into with Gentoo on my desktop, and to a lesser
17 extend with Linux in general on a desktop, is that sometimes I lose control of
18 this tradeoff. Some very important desktop utilities, such as evolution, are
19 not very fault tolerant, and if things that are fragile break in an upgrade,
20 the amount of time one has to allocate to repair is indeterminate..
21
22 I've learned to do my desktop upgrades (emerge -uD world; revdep-rebuild) on
23 weekends, but the last one I did is still a work in progress today, Wednesday,
24 and I started it last Saturday. I should be doing other things rather than
25 having fun repairing my desktop OS :-)
26
27 > On topic: What however DO annoy me, speaking of Nvidia, is the delay in
28 > releaseing the new driver compatible with x.org 7.x. I'm tempted to go with
29 > the open source module for a while as I really don't use any heavy OpenGL
30 > applications (no games for me). Can anyone please give me some indication on
31 > the speed difference in 2d acceleration between the open and the closed
32 > drivers?
33 >
34 > > Of course, if I were running Gentoo on a mission critical server or
35 > > something, as part of my livelihood, I'd probably run stable, but it's a
36 >
37 > Can't argue with you there. All my four servers are running Gentoo (stable)
38 > x86 and there has almost never been any problems with the eboulds.
39
40 Likewise. I don't run ~x86 on my servers unless it's necessary, and it is
41 sometimes necessary. The only problem I've had which was really scary was the
42 udev thing a few weeks ago that caused some systems to hang at boot time.
45 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
46 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
47 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
48 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
49 | (Pamela Jones) |
50 --