From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: questions and sundry gripes about X11 multihead (it's a rant)
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 13:13:36
1 Brent Busby posted on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:52:14 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > Totally agree. I love FVWM (and WindowMaker), and I think the ability
4 > to change to a whole different kind of desktop if you want is one of the
5 > greatest features of X. I have a feeling Wayland users are going to end
6 > up with a desktop that's theme-able (in the way you can theme a Windows
7 > desktop), but not completely replaceable with any of twenty wholly
8 > different desktop/window managers.
9
10 I'm somewhat more optimistic than that.
11
12 Certainly wayland is a huge change that will change the landscape of GUI
13 Linux as we know it in a huge way, relegating huge swaths of current but
14 deep-in-maintenance-mode X-based apps to legacy status unless someone
15 picks them up and updates them for wayland; absolutely no question about
16 that.
17
18 And I think at one point there was a danger of wayland effectively fully
19 integrating the WM into it. But at least in a number of areas (including
20 client-side decorations), the kde/kwin folks simply said no, that's not
21 going to work for us and we will not be doing it that way, period.
22
23 That was the big no to the way wayland and weston had things planned, but
24 some other projects took advantage of it and the consequent hooks made
25 available and no longer 100% assumptions, and are doing their own thing
26 now too.
27
28 I /think/ that's part of why weston broke off into a separate project --
29 it's now the reference implementation of what is sort of a parallel to WMs
30 (but the comparison is only a rough one, they're technically working at
31 rather different levels, with compositing manager being a better
32 description of the wayland side), with wayland now exposing a protocol
33 both weston and other implementations can use.
34
35 And for certain, kde is going to have its own implementation, because as
36 I said, there were certain bits of the original implementation as now
37 found in weston, that were unacceptable to kde.
38
39 That leaves the way open for others as well, and I've read of at least
40 one other independent project working on its own implementation, tho at
41 this point I think they're actually using weston too.
42
43 I expect that as kde frameworks' wayland implementation matures as a full
44 second implementation of the compositing manager, showing the way and
45 working out some of the original oversights and kinks for others, we'll
46 eventually see other choices develop as well, either fully independently,
47 or as forks of the original big-two original reference weston, and kde
48 frameworks kwin (I don't know if there's a final name for the kde
49 frameworks wayland compositor yet, or if they'll keep the kwin name).
50
51 Whether it'll ever develop into the complex ecosystem of WM variants we
52 have for X after all these decades, or whether it'll remain at a list in
53 the single digits, remains to be seen, but I believe the opportunity is
54 and will remain there for devs who get that itch to scratch, in part
55 thanks to kde/kwin's early NO, that will not work for us and we will not
56 accept it, to parts of the original plan.
61 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman