From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] VMware Workstation 6.0?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:06:23
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 06:56:29 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> "Unsupported" in this context means "I'm paying the same price for my > license as somebody who buys a Workstation license for a Windows or > RHEL host and I expect that VMware will give me the same level of > support".
Of course they will, as long as you pretend you are using Red Hat :( They've stated what they support, it's your choice to run on a different platform. "not supported" does not mean "not working". A more serious concern is that their support only lasts for 30 days, after that you have to buy support at $50 per question. Put in that context, the support is worthless past the initial get-it-working stage, Google is much cheaper.
> I know 5.5 "works on Gentoo" and I'm pretty sure 6.0 will > too. All I'm saying is that Gentoo is providing some level of support > by putting ebuilds in Portage for something with no support from the > vendor.
Gentoo devs are providing support for Gentoo users by enabling them to manage WS installations through portage. That's all.
> I downloaded the Beta and tried it. I had some problems getting it to > work. I think someone on the forum helped me get going and I was able > to get it to run, although it was so slow it was unusable once I did > get it running.
Despite the startup warning about debug being enabled and this slowing things dowm I found the speed similar to 5.5. Possibly because 6.0 is 64 bit native.
> But just yesterday I got an email from their support > folks with the standard "We don't support what you're trying to do. A > list of supported hosts can be found ..." disclaimer. All I'm saying is > that they don't "support" us -- why should we "support" them by > distributing their package and even supplying patches so that it works > on Gentoo?
"We" aren't supporting anyone. The Gentoo devs are supporting us.
> I think I had this discussion a while back, and the upshot was that a > number of the Gentoo developers used VMware Workstation themselves, so > they made it work, and as long as VMware didn't forbid them from > distributing it, they didn't see anything wrong with distributing it.
Gentoo don't distribute it, they only distribute a bash script and a couple of patches. The rest comes from VMware. Distributing VMware isn't really an issue anyway, I have distributed many tens of thousands of copies, all within VMware's licence terms.
Doesn't Xen require a modified guest OS? I like VMware because it runs the OS with no modifications. Having said that, Virtual Box looks interesting and is near the top of my "to try" list. http://www.virtualbox.org/ -- Neil Bothwick If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. * Maslow