From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] [WAY OT] On Top Posting
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:02:30
On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 12:38:17PM -0400, John Manko wrote:
> What's the big deal? Is top posting bad posting practice? >
Now, I speak from folklore, as I am too young to personally experience the phenomenon, but the story goes like this: In the ancient times, all was good. Men were men, women were women, small furry creatures from alpha centauri were small furry creatures from alpha centauri. There was, then, usenet. Men were good on usenet back then. (there weren't women). People posted cordially, but flamed when necessary. And most important of all, because usenet is like multiplayer email, to keep everything in perspective, people posted while quoting the posts they reply to. And specific questions were answered by specific answers set in a style similar to what we see on FAQs. And then AOL happened. The default client in AOL quotes the entire parent BUT leaves a dashed line above it and two blank lines above that, with the blinking cursors sitting at the very top. The washed masses ignored the etiquette of the unwashed elite and started Top-posting. This soon leads to posting without even quoting, because people think: "why waste the bandwidth on all these unnecessary text below here". Sooner or later, usenet became a wasteland because people cannot communicate with each other because words were no longer put in perspective. And flames abound, trolls came out of hiding, people started calling each others nazis.... Now you get the picture. But with that said, in personal communications, I often still top-reply, because: 1) people are starting to use Gmail 2) I think I can rely on the two people I actually talk to privately to remember what he/she just said twenty minutes ago 3) Scrolling through personal emails like that is a bitch. Best, W -- McDonald's Corollary to Murphy's Law: In any given set of circumstances, the proper course of action is determined by subsequent events. Sortir en Pantoufles: up 7 days, 19:52 -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list