From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome 3 instant messaging
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:04:27
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
> > I never used Instant Messaging so far, but now with gnome3 I see the > screenshots of notifications within gnome shell and the somehow > integrated chatting. > > But I have no idea how to get there on my desktop. > > I have the full gnome ebuild installed, got some gmail and icq account > within pidgin or empathy but somehow I don't get it. > > Feels stupid ;-) > > Could someone get me started on this? > I googled quite a while already but didn't get very far ... > > Maybe I am missing something somewhere, I had gnome-light before and > upgraded to full gnome 3 a few weeks before. > > Thanks for any pointers, Stefan
Go to the "Online Accounts" dialog; the menu with your name at the top right of the screen, select "Online Accounts". Alternatively, go to System Settings (Windows key, type "settings", it should appear), and select "Online Accounts". Click on the "+" button to add an account, select Google (right now the only available, I believe), click "Add", and a kinda-browser form will appear, where you should enter your Google mail, and your password. You cick "sign", and Google will notify you that GNOME is trying to access your accounts. You click "grant access", and then select which Google services you want to handle with GNOME (mail, calendar, chat, etc.) Then in the menu with your name at the top right of the screen, select "Available". Afterwards you open Empathy (Windows key, type "empathy; it should appear), and it should connect you to your Google chat account. Regards. -- Canek Peláez Valdés Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México