From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Desktop nearly unbootable!! Need HELP!!
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 04:56:34
1 Thus spake Rémi Cardona on Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 02:34:46PM CDT
2 > Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 > >My main issue here is the question of how such a condition can occur. I
4 > >have USE=ldap set, and a Gentoo ebuild at some point put ldap into the
5 > >authentication methods for passwd, shadow and group, probably because this
6 > >flag was set when glibc was last emerged.
7 >
8 > I checked the ebuilds and none of 'em actually touch nsswitch.conf It's
9 > a purely manual setup.
10
11 Hmmm. Don't know why I would have made this change manually. I've never
12 used ldap in place of /etc/shadow, /etc/passwd or /etc/group. Ldap is a
13 bear, and the docs are worse, and I only figured it out a year or two ago
14 with the help of the (excellent!) LDAP System Administration book from
15 O'Reilly.
16
17 > >One of the disadvantages of Gentoo is that it follows the open source
18 > >maxim "release early, release often" pretty literally. The choices are
19 > >either to keep an identical non-production server around as a test bed or
20 > >to not try to keep up2date on stuff once the system is stable. I do live
21 > >dangerously, and reserve the right to whine about it when I get my butt
22 > >bitten ;-) One of the advantages of Gentoo is that the dev community and
23 > >forums are generally very helpful in solving stuff when things break.
24 > >bugs.gentoo.org is a great resource to which I successfully turn more
25 > >often than I would wish.
26 >
27 > I'll second Donnie here, VMWare is a great tool for that, I used it in
28 > several occasions and it saved me a bundle, both in terms of time and
29 > money (one server with plenty of RAM running 2 win2k and 2 linuxes at
30 > the same time). It's definitely worth its price tag in the long run.
31
32 When I get a spare couple of grand I'll set up a new box to do this. It's a
33 good idea. VMware is a great tool which I use on my desktop for WinXP but
34 I've known folks to run Linux on it.
35
36 > Xen seems to be the cool new thing, and it seems to be well tested to be
37 > put into production use. Definitely worth a look if you're on a tight
38 > budget, or if your servers are not used to their max capacity.
39
40 I'm not familiar with Xen, which Gentoo describes only as "The Xen virtual
41 machine monitor" - terribly informative, that ;-)
42
43 > >>I read someplace this was going to be fixed in later versions of
44 > >>nss_ldap.
45 > >
46 > >Yeah, this bug has been outstanding for many months. I put a version cap
47 > >in packages.mask on nss_ldap and a comment referencing the bug report. It
48 > >looks as if Greg KH and other devs can't quite agree on where the
49 > >responsibility lies for this one.
50 >
51 > Since this bug has been bothering me for quite a while too, I'll try and
52 > see if I can fix it. I started looking through udev this morning, and it
53 > seems really clean code-wise. I'm not really sure how to test udev
54 > though, besides rebooting the box. I'll figure this out this weekend.
55
56 That would be very cool!
59 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
60 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
61 512-259-1190 | (The Roadie) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
62 http://www.fmp.com | |
63 --
64 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list