From: Ettore Salvi <ettoresalvi@×××××.it>
To: gentoo <gentoo-desktop@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Xorg-Toshiba Laptop
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:58:55
Hi everybody:
        I'm installing Gentoo on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A30 ).
For XFree86Config i followed the guidelines in Gentoo Desktop
configuration guide and www.linux-laptop.net guide for almost the same
model. The result: when i type "startx" the X server crashes and
outputs:

(EE) I810(0): VBE initialization failed
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

        I'm sure there is no hardware incompatibility because i can run
knoppix 3.2 (which runs 2.4 kernel) and both the XFree and KDE run
perfectly. I've also tried to copy the XF86Config from knoppix: the
same error.

           My hardware: VGA: Intel 82852/855GM

        Thanks in advance.