From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:17:12
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 00:20, Spider wrote:
> Also, what are suggested practices for shared media disks? Many > people want something like /media/music (/media/video) partitions for > the shared collection of music/media files between computer users. How > should we setup permissions and recommendations for such?
There are a few options I can think of offhand: 1. Everything goes straight into /media or media-based subdirs, read-only by some media group 2. Same, except also writable. This allows users to physically share music rather than allowing the sysadmin to decide what's shared. 3. A combination of the two, something like /media/dropbox/ that's writable. 4. Subdirs in /media per-user, each rw by user, ro by group. This sucks to dig through looking for things but keeps permissions well. Thoughts? -- Donnie Berkholz Gentoo Linux