From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:37:03
1 On 02:38 Mon 21 Mar , Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 21:13 -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > I also suspect What Jean-Marc said is the problem. I'd recommend
4 > > completely disabling everything in the old ATA section to ensure it
5 > > doesn't attempt to control any devices, while building the PATA
6 > > driver into the kernel and using root=/dev/sdXN in the grub
7 > > parameters.
8 >
9 > If I use the stock configuration from the 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 kernel,
10 > won't this have the correct basic kernel facilities built in, at least
11 > as far as the deprecated IDE capabilities are concerned and the libata
12 > replacement? I assume the Gentoo devs modify kernels so that the
13 > default config settings are more appropriate than those which come
14 > with the vanilla kernel from the kernel devs, yes?
15
16 Things are pretty vanilla, as per Gentoo philosophy, unless you run
17 genkernel to build your kernel. I wouldn't rely on anything being built
18 in for a manually configured kernel.
19
20 Take a look at the kernel config guide if you want some pointers:
21
22 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=7
23
24 > Putting "root=/dev/sda4" on the kernel cmd line in grub actually
25 > worked, and got me a bit further in the boot process. The kernel
26 > obviously understood it. However later in the boot process, I got
27 > "Checking the root filesystem", following by an error message that the
28 > root filesystem spec of /dev/sda4 wasn't understood. This is a
29 > complaint about the root fs spec is in /etc/fstab, since I had been
30 > using a UUID spec there, and got an error at the same point in the
31 > boot-up about the UUID instead.
32
33 That is symptomatic of a missing driver for an ATA controller or root
34 filesystem.
35
36 > > It might be a worthwhile step to boot from a LiveCD and run `lspci
37 > > -k` to identify the kernel modules.
38 >
39 > lsmod will probably give the same useful information.
40
41 The useful thing about `lspci -k` is it only shows modules actually used
42 by hardware on your system, rather than the huge superset of modules
43 that are loaded.
46 Thanks,
47 Donnie
48