From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:37:03
On 02:38 Mon 21 Mar     , Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 21:13 -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > I also suspect What Jean-Marc said is the problem. I'd recommend > > completely disabling everything in the old ATA section to ensure it > > doesn't attempt to control any devices, while building the PATA > > driver into the kernel and using root=/dev/sdXN in the grub > > parameters. > > If I use the stock configuration from the 2.6.36-gentoo-r5 kernel, > won't this have the correct basic kernel facilities built in, at least > as far as the deprecated IDE capabilities are concerned and the libata > replacement? I assume the Gentoo devs modify kernels so that the > default config settings are more appropriate than those which come > with the vanilla kernel from the kernel devs, yes?
Things are pretty vanilla, as per Gentoo philosophy, unless you run genkernel to build your kernel. I wouldn't rely on anything being built in for a manually configured kernel. Take a look at the kernel config guide if you want some pointers: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=7
> Putting "root=/dev/sda4" on the kernel cmd line in grub actually > worked, and got me a bit further in the boot process. The kernel > obviously understood it. However later in the boot process, I got > "Checking the root filesystem", following by an error message that the > root filesystem spec of /dev/sda4 wasn't understood. This is a > complaint about the root fs spec is in /etc/fstab, since I had been > using a UUID spec there, and got an error at the same point in the > boot-up about the UUID instead.
That is symptomatic of a missing driver for an ATA controller or root filesystem.
> > It might be a worthwhile step to boot from a LiveCD and run `lspci > > -k` to identify the kernel modules. > > lsmod will probably give the same useful information.
The useful thing about `lspci -k` is it only shows modules actually used by hardware on your system, rather than the huge superset of modules that are loaded. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Desktop project lead Gentoo Linux Blog: http://dberkholz.com