From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome Accessibility Toolkit
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:05:26
1 Thus spake Rémi Cardona on Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 12:56:45AM CDT
2 > Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 > >Thus spake Lindsay Haisley on Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 11:34:48PM CDT
4 > >>John,
5 > >>
6 > >>I got rid of "gailtreeview.c" errors and crashes by unmerging gail as
7 > >>well as libgail and at-spi which I unmerged at your direction and which
8 > >>got rid of most of the nasty crashes and freezes in gnome-panel. I get
9 > >>warnings from Gnome and gtk, but everything seems to be stable.
10 > >
11 > >I take it back. Evolution won't run without gail. xchat-2 won't run
12 > >_with_ it.
15 > Gtkhtml (which is used by evo) needs gail. I don't know if your issue
16 > with xchat is related to gail because I've been running xchat with gail
17 > on my system for as long as I can remember.
18
19 There are a number of problems that show up only on my account on the box,
20 which was working fine prior to last weekend when I upgraded to gnome 2.14,
21 after which the system had serious problems. I worked on the system for
22 several hours with guidance from John Laliberte and we found one legacy gnome
23 problem with the "start-here:///" scheme which was still in my local configs
24 and causing a crash (freeze). Subsequently, we eliminated a freeze-causing
25 memory deallocation problem (calling free() on a NULL pointer, apparenlty), by
26 unmerging at-spi. I was left with a usable system and could then run evolution
27 and _most_ other apps on which I depend for my work environment. There were
28 still some gnome-panel crashes and app crashes (related to assertion failures
29 in gail's gailtreeview.c) which I could overcome by removing gail - but I
30 backed out on that because evolution is more important than xchat :-)
31
32 There are other apps that fail as well. I keep discovering them.
33
34 > Does revdep-rebuild -pv show any inconsistencies ?
35
36 No. (other than at-spi and libgail-gnome being missing, which I know about)
37
38 Rémi, your note re. running xchat with gail is significant. As I've said here
39 before, I have a test account on the box which is essentially virgin, and if I
40 log into that account (gnome desktop) these problems don't occur, even with
41 gail, libgail-gnome and at-spi merged. Everything seems to run OK.
42
43 The quickest way for me to go, at this point, would be to salvage my contact
44 list and appointment calendar from evolution (all my email is stored on imap
45 servers elsewhere), salvage my galeon bookmarks, make extensive notes on my
46 desktop setup, and start with a fresh account filespace. This would probably
47 solve _my_ problem, but there may well be systemic problems that mine are
48 illustrating, and John would like to work these through to see if he can find
49 out what's happening. I'm happy to spend the extra time to do this if it will
50 help make gnome a better piece in the long run.
51
52 With the exception of having temporarily unmerged the 2 packages noted above,
53 my basic system is quite stock. On the other hand, my personal account space
54 goes back through several versions of gnome, and has a lot of legacy
55 configuration things in it. These seem to be the things which are causing
56 problems.
59 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
60 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
61 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
62 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
63 | (Pamela Jones) |
64 --