From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:19:29
1 On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 09:57 +0100, Roman Zilka wrote:
2 > I do have a few. I hope you'll make a good use of them to make your
3 > life more productive.
4
5 Good heavens, Roman! Please let's back off on the lectures and stick to
6 the technical stuff. When I have a chance to fully a address the
7 problem again, if I still have a problem I will take the information you
8 request and post it, as I said, to a private URL, which I will post to
9 this list, and NOT send it out to a gazillion subscribers who aren't
10 interested. This is the way patches, configs, emerge --info, etc is
11 done on many forums and mailing lists. This is the way it WILL be done
12 in this case, and I'm sure you can deal with it.
13
14 This is NOT an operation of a few dozen seconds. I will post to this
15 list when I have time to fully focus on the problem. In the meantime, I
16 don't intend to argue with you or anyone else about what does or does
17 not constitute proper netiquette. I'm 69 years old, have been
18 programming in numerous languages and working with Unix since the mid
19 80s, have been working with Linux since kernel v1.x.x in the 90s, am
20 past president of the oldest Unix pofessional society in Austin, TX,
21 co-founder of the oldest Linux Users Group in Austin, have moderated
22 more mailing lists than I care to remember, run a small but well
23 respected hosting service here, and am not without knowledge and
24 resources. I come to this list with this problem not because you, or
25 anyone else "knows more than I do", but because people may have
26 technical insights or suggestions that may help me understand what's
27 going on. Let's keep it to that going forward.
28
29 > The second of my specific suggestions into a more fruitful future is:
30 > read what people ask of you.
31
32 Jesus, Roman! BACK OFF!! I'm sorry if I offended you, but your
33 response is offensive to me. All it does is annoy me and encourage the
34 script kiddies on the list to take cheap shots at me. I appreciate your
35 insights, but please let's stick to the technical issues. _IF_ I need
36 to, I will post the material you request in the manner I've noted
37 previously, at such time as I have my work on the problem better
38 organized. Don't waste my time, and I won't waste yours. OK?
39
40 Again, I sincerely apologize if I've wasted your time, or anyone else's
41 on this list, and I'll try to keep my posts to a minimum going forward
42 until I have more to report. Again, going forward, PLEASE stick to
43 technical matters and let's let issues of style, netiquette, etc. alone.
44 Thank you, and 'nuff said about that. And again, please accept my
45 apology.
48 Lindsay Haisley | "Never expect the people who caused a problem
49 FMP Computer Services | to solve it." - Albert Einstein
50 512-259-1190 |
51 http://www.fmp.com |