From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:56:11
1 On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 12:07, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 06 October 2004 10:30, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > Actually the new kde and gnome releases both support the same menu files
4 > > IN THE SAME LOCATION. Those files need to be in /usr/share/applications,
5 > > and follow the freedesktop menu specification. The main difference with
6 > > "traditional" kde .desktop files is that a Categories entry must be
7 > > present. With current releases just putting a file there "just works".
8 >
9 > Hm, that's good to know. I had in mind, that the used function to create such
10 > a file was replaced by another, but didn't know the status. Nevermind, found
11 > it (man eutils.eclass), but maybe I'm not enough Linuxifed, to like it, that
12 > I have to grep through the files to find out, what the name of the function
13 > may be and where it may be implemented, before using man to get what I want.
14 > The function does not test, if the icon exists btw..
15
16 If you mean make_desktop_entry, that is a dirty little hack used by the
17 Games team pretty much exclusively. Also, the function *shouldn't* test
18 whether an icon file is present simply because it would be a lot more
19 work and there can be menu entries without an icon (look at doom3) that
20 may get added at a later date. Currently, I have been using
21 /usr/share/pixmaps to put all of my icon files, but anything in the icon
22 path for your environment is searched when the ebuild is run. Also, by
23 doing it without checking, it makes it easier for the user to substitute
24 the icon simply by placing a new file with the same name in ~/.icons,
25 rather than editing the .desktop file.
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
30 Games - Developer
31 Gentoo Linux
35 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list