From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: System problems - some progress
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 15:59:11
1 On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 08:40 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > By contrast, Linux is still my hobby, tho really, a full time one in that
3 > I spend hours a day at it, pretty much 7 days a week. I'm thinking I
4 > might switch to Linux as a job at some point, perhaps soon, but it's not a
5 > switch I'll make lightly, and it's not something I'll even consider
6 > "selling my soul for" to take -- it'll be on my terms or I might as well
7 > stay with Linux as a hobby -- an arrangement that works and that suits me
8 > fine.
9
10 What professional work I've gotten with Linux has been a real lesson in
11 synergy. It seems as if every time I've gone out and experimented with
12 some facet of Linux technology - setting up iptables, learning routing
13 fundamentals, setting up and using OpenVPN, etc., I've been called upon
14 to use it, and get paid for using it, for a client. My main client, in
15 return, has increased my understanding of higher level programming stuff
16 tremendously!
17
18 > Slowly, one at a time, I've tackled Bind DNS, NTPD, md/RAID, direct
19 > netfilter/iptables (which interestingly enough were *SIGNIFICANTLY* easier
20 > for me to wrap my mind around than the various so-called "easier" firewall
21 > tools that ultimately use netfilter/iptables at the back end anyway,
22 > perhaps because I already understood network basics and all the "simple"
23 > ones simply obscured the situation for me) and other generally considered
24 > "enterprise" tools.
25
26 Yep, I know where you're coming from there. Iptables isn't all that
27 hard to understand, and I've become pretty conversant with it in the
28 process of using for my own and others' systems. I'd always rather deal
29 with the "under the hood" CLI tools than with some GUI tool that does
30 little more than obfuscate the real issue. That way lies Windows!
31
32 > Bottom line, yeah I believe ext4 is safe, but ext3 or ext4, unless you
33 > really do /not/ care about your data integrity or are going to the extreme
34 > and already have data=journal, DEFINITELY specify data=ordered, both in
35 > your mount options, and by setting the defaults via tune2fs.
36
37 So does this turn off journaling? What's a good reference on the
38 advantages of ext4 over ext3, or can you just summarize them for me?
39
40 > But if you're basing the initr* on glibc, which would certainly be easier
41 > and is, now that I think of it, probably the way gentoo handles it, yeah,
42 > I could see the glibc getting stale in the initrd.
43
44 The problem with Gentoo was that because EVMS was an orphaned project, I
45 believe the ebuild wasn't updated. The initrd file was specific for
46 EVMS.
47
48 > If there's one bit of advice in all these posts that I'd have you take
49 > away, it's that. It's NOT worth the integrity of your data! Use
50 > data=ordered unless you really do NOT care, to the same degree that you
51 > don't put data you care about on RAID-0, without at least ensuring that
52 > it's backed up elsewhere.
53
54 I've never used, or had much use for RAID-0. LVM provides the same
55 capabilities. For me, RAID is a way of insuring data integrity, and
56 large drives are getting cheaper and cheaper. I've only used RAID-1 and
57 RAID-5.
58
59 I'm not a speed-freak on disk I/O, and am generally quite willing to
60 sacrifice a bit of speed for reliability. data=writeback has been a
61 tweak, and I believe I've read up on it previously and decided against
62 it for probably the same reasons you cite. data=ordered has been the
63 default, but apparently upgrading to 2.6.36 I'm going to have to spec
64 this explicitly in /etc/fstab unless I upgrade to 2.6.38.
65
66 > FWIW, my RAID is 4x SATA 300 gig Seagates, 5 year warranty I expect now
67 > either expired or soon to. Most of the system is RAID-1 across all four,
68 > however, and I'm backed up to external as well altho I'll admit that
69 > backup's a dated, now. I bought them after having a string of bad luck
70 > with ~1 year failures on both Maxtor (which had previously been quite
71 > dependable for me)
72
73 I had a Maxtor drive actually *smoke* on me once, years ago. There was
74 a "pop", and smoke, and a big burned spot on the circuit board on the
75 drive! I never bought another Maxtor! It's the smoke inside the little
76 colored thingies on printed circuit boards that make them work! When
77 they break, and the smoke gets away, the thingies are useless.
78
79 I generally go with Seagates these days too, although the quality of
80 drives, and which brand is best, seems to change over time. I used to
81 swear by IBM drives until they had a bad run of them with a high failure
82 rate, and before this got sorted out they sold their drive biz to
83 Fujitsu.
84
85 > and Western Digital (which I had read bad things about
86 > but thought I'd try after Maxtor, only to have the same ~1 year issues).
87 > Obviously, they've long outlasted those, so I've been satisfied.
88 >
89 > As I said, I'll keep the 3ware RAID cards in mind.
90
91 After having had all kinds of trouble trying to get hardware RAID
92 working on one of my servers, I discovered the 3ware cards after asking
93 the advice of the hardware fellow here who works with one of my favorite
94 tech outfits in Austin, Outernet Connection Strategies. He builds a lot
95 of servers and doesn't even _try_ to get the native RAID chipsets to
96 work. He just slaps a 3ware card in them and moves on. It's _real_
97 RAID, all the useful levels, not "fakeraid".
98
99 > Mainboard: If a server board fits your budget, I'd highly recommend
100 > getting a Tyan board that's Linux certified. The one I'm running in my
101 > main machine is now 8 years old, /long/ out of warranty and beyond further
102 > BIOS updates, but still running solid.
103
104 Hmmm. I'll look into Tyan. I hadn't heard of them, but it sounds as if
105 they bend over backwards to work with Linux. That's always a plus.
106
107 > It's likely to be a decade old by the time I actually upgrade it. Yes,
108 > it's definitely a server-class board and the $400 I paid reflected that,
109 > but 8 years and shooting for 10! And with the official Linux support
110 > including a custom sensors.conf. I'm satisfied that I got my money's
111 > worth.
112 >
113 > But I don't believe all Tyan's boards are as completely Linux supported as
114 > that one was, so do your research.
115
116 Of course. I like technology that _lasts_! We have a clock in our
117 house that's about 190 years old, and came to me through my family. The
118 works are made of wood, and it keeps impeccable time - loses or gains
119 maybe 30 seconds a week if I wind it every day, which I need to. Some
120 years ago one of the wooden gears gave out from over a century of
121 stress. There's a label in the clock that says "warrented if well
122 used", and since I'd used it very well, I called up the Seth Thomas
123 company and told them that I had one of their clocks and it was broken,
124 and since I'd used it very well, I figured that it was still under
125 warranty. The gal with whom I talked was amused and intrigued, and
126 turned me on to the Connecticut Clock and Watch museum, run by one
127 George Bruno. It seems that Mr. Bruno also makes working replicas of
128 exactly the model of clock I have and was able to send me an exact
129 replacement part! Try _THAT_ with your 1990's era computer ;-) Every
130 time this nice old clock strikes the hour it reminds me that although I
131 work with computers where hardware is out of date in 5 years or so,
132 there are some things that were built to last!
133
134 But this is OT for this forum. Sorry, folks. I couldn't resist telling
135 a good story.
136
137 > Well, save btrfs for a project a couple years down the line, then. But
138 > certainly, investigate md/raid vs lvm2 and make your choice, keeping in
139 > mind that while nowdays they overlap features, md/raid doesn't require an
140 > initr* to run / on it, while lvm2 will likely be pulled in as a dependency
141 > for your X desktop, at least kde/gnome/xfce, by later this year, whether
142 > you actually use its lvm features or not.
143
144 Thanks, Duncan. Good advice, that.
145
146 > And do consider ext4, but regardless of ext3/4, be /sure/ you either
147 > choose data=ordered or can give a good reason why you didn't. (Low-
148 > latency writing just might be a reasonable excuse for data=writeback, but
149 > be sure you keep backed up if you do!) Because /that/ one may well save
150 > your data, someday!
151
152 I'm going to read up on btrfs and ext4, whether or not I use them.
155 Lindsay Haisley |"Windows .....
156 FMP Computer Services | life's too short!"
157 512-259-1190 |
158 http://www.fmp.com | - Brad Johnston