From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Kde error
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:40:22
gunner carstens posted <4161AB86.6010903@××××××××××××××.dk>, excerpted
below,  on Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:59:02 +0200:

> Everything nonkde I have emerged lately have compiled easily.
Do note that while most packages will be C based, kde is C++ based. If you are having problems with it (and including QT as a dependency, as it's also C++ based, it could be issues with g++ (the gcc C++ compiler). That's in addition to the memory stuff I mentioned on the other thread. Of course, KDE compiles are also larger than most, so may stress the system more and bring out any problems, particularly when they are using different code than ordinary C compiles. One thing you might try is doing a quickpkg of your gcc, then emerging a different version of it. gcc is a fairly large package, so might trigger the same problem if it's indeed hardware related (altho it's C not C++), so you'd be killing two birds with one stone, as they say, both testing a different large package, and changing out your compiler. Other related packages that sometimes cause problems are binutils and glibc. So.. if you haven't already, do a bug search on each package as well as on KDE, and see if anyone else is having your issues. (I'm not, but I'm on ~amd64, so...) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list