From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:42:47
begin  quote
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:11:27 -0700
Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 00:20, Spider wrote: > > Also, what are suggested practices for shared media disks? Many > > people want something like /media/music (/media/video) partitions > > for the shared collection of music/media files between computer > > users. How should we setup permissions and recommendations for > > such? > > There are a few options I can think of offhand:
> 1. Everything goes straight into /media or media-based subdirs, > read-only by some media group
/media is the common mount-point according to the standard, lets not break it more than we already do. ownership set to some media group is quite good, i use "audio" for my music files, since people has to be in the audio-group to play them anyhow, and it allows a single permission for both accessing the sound and so on.
> 2. Same, except also writable. This allows users to physically share > music rather than allowing the sysadmin to decide what's shared.
Thats pretty much the case we want, home-users probably -want- to share music between accounts, rather than separating them. ok. ~/Music with umode 022 can be used as well, if all users are in the same main group.
> 3. A combination of the two, something like /media/dropbox/ that's > writable.
Thats like /tmp, sticky bit set, world writeable, (chmod 1777) where only the owner can remove the files. Decent solution, but doesn't really make sure that all the users have -read- access to all files.
> 4. Subdirs in /media per-user, each rw by user, ro by group. This > sucks to dig through looking for things but keeps permissions well.
bad separation and sucky, its better to just use ~ in such a case.
> > Thoughts?
Currently I'm using chmod 1777 /media/music, and run a script to regularly set the permissions below it as this: chgrp -R audio chmod g+rw (for files) chmod g+rxw (for directories) however, this isn't really "optimal", but it works, and allows all users to actually share the music. The whole idea is that the directory is common storage, the same goes for other media. Things that are private go into ~ anyhow. the main argument for it is that I/we can export /media/music over samba/nfs for other people, it separates user-data from "global commune" data (at least where I live its perfectly ok to share music like this. *waves to the RIAA* ) //Spider -- begin .signature Tortured users / Laughing in pain See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information. end