From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:42:47
1 begin quote
2 On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 08:11:27 -0700
3 Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 00:20, Spider wrote:
6 > > Also, what are suggested practices for shared media disks? Many
7 > > people want something like /media/music (/media/video) partitions
8 > > for the shared collection of music/media files between computer
9 > > users. How should we setup permissions and recommendations for
10 > > such?
11 >
12 > There are a few options I can think of offhand:
13
14 > 1. Everything goes straight into /media or media-based subdirs,
15 > read-only by some media group
16
17 /media is the common mount-point according to the standard, lets not
18 break it more than we already do.
19
20 ownership set to some media group is quite good, i use "audio" for my
21 music files, since people has to be in the audio-group to play them
22 anyhow, and it allows a single permission for both accessing the sound
23 and so on.
26 > 2. Same, except also writable. This allows users to physically share
27 > music rather than allowing the sysadmin to decide what's shared.
28
29 Thats pretty much the case we want, home-users probably -want- to share
30 music between accounts, rather than separating them. ok. ~/Music with
31 umode 022 can be used as well, if all users are in the same main group.
35 > 3. A combination of the two, something like /media/dropbox/ that's
36 > writable.
37
38 Thats like /tmp, sticky bit set, world writeable, (chmod 1777) where
39 only the owner can remove the files. Decent solution, but doesn't
40 really make sure that all the users have -read- access to all files.
43 > 4. Subdirs in /media per-user, each rw by user, ro by group. This
44 > sucks to dig through looking for things but keeps permissions well.
45
46 bad separation and sucky, its better to just use ~ in such a case.
49 > Thoughts?
52 Currently I'm using chmod 1777 /media/music, and run a script to
53 regularly set the permissions below it as this:
54 chgrp -R audio
55 chmod g+rw (for files)
56 chmod g+rxw (for directories)
57
58 however, this isn't really "optimal", but it works, and allows all users
59 to actually share the music. The whole idea is that the directory is
60 common storage, the same goes for other media. Things that are private
61 go into ~ anyhow.
62
63 the main argument for it is that I/we can export /media/music over
64 samba/nfs for other people, it separates user-data from "global commune"
65 data (at least where I live its perfectly ok to share music like this.
66 *waves to the RIAA* )
67
68 //Spider
73 begin .signature