From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 07:40:17
Thus spake Gábor Farkas on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:23:59AM CDT
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 13:44 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > One of my goals as manager of the desktop project is to get things to > > "just work." Once they're emerged, just run them and things are good to > > go. > > > > Since I can't try everything, I need some feedback from you guys. What > > already does a great job at this? What stands out in your minds as being > > forgettable because of the lack of set-up effort? > > > > On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we > > improve how we set things up when programs are emerged? > > set up a printer in gnome. > > i must admit, maybe i just don't know how to do it. > i usually emerge kdebase, and use kcontrol (kde control center) > to add a cups printer. > > so, if there's a normal way to add a printer in gnome, tell me.
Printers are an Issue in Linux, and it's not just Gentoo. Eric Raymond sent a flame letter to the CUPS people a while back detailing his horror story of setting up a CUPS printer. His story was chillingly similar to my own experience. It was a nightmare! Maybe the Gentoo devs could pick up the ball and make CUPS a little easier to use. -- Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys> http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") | -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list