From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 05:21:15
Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 12:20, Luke-Jr wrote: > >>On Wednesday 06 October 2004 3:43 pm, marcos ferreyra wrote: >> >>>Examples of things that DON'T WORK out-of-the-box are >>>* wireless (in my experience, very hard to set up) >> >>(Never tried w/ Gentoo.) > > > I don't get this one. I guess I've just been lucky and have only bought > good wireless cards, but for me it only takes editing a couple lines in > /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and restarting pcmcia. > > I also have been working on making net-setup on the LiveCD > wireless-capable, so expect to see that for the 2004.3 release. Also, > has anyone written up good documentation for setting up wireless for the > Handbook? That would probably be a good idea of something to do.
That's if you have a PCMCIA card. Here's what I had to do for my built-in laptop mPCI card to work: 1. Install Driverloader (not Gentoo's fault) 2. Set to autoload module at start 3. Add a dirty hack to /etc/init.d/net.eth1 that calls iwconfig and sets parameters (ssid, WEP, etc.) Of course, this only works for a single location. If I want to travel, it means booting, waiting for everything to time out, editing the net.eth1 script, and rebooting, or running iwconfig manually and restarting all the failed services. I hear though that a new wireless config system has made its way into the new baselayout, so this may not be an issue later. -- Joel Konkle-Parker Webmaster [Ballsome.com] E-mail [jjk3@×××××××.edu] -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list