From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome 3 instant messaging
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:03:33
Am 21.03.2012 22:13, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote: >> So I have to open empathy and it is not enough to be logged in? >> That was one of my main questions. > > I'm not sure. I think even if you don't open Empathy, it will connect > you, and then you will receive messages through the notification > system.
ok, I see. Gotta test that.
>> I already added the account successfully already, I just have to check >> out how to find rooms (if there are one there ?) > > Mmmh. Google Chat is not like IRChat. It's more like messenger; you > have your contacts, and you can chat with them and them with you.
I see. More of a concept understanding problem here, I see ;-)
>> Is it possible to get skype into this as well? > > No, and I don't think it will ever be possible. Skype uses a > proprietary protocol, and (AFAIK), there are not 3rd-party clients for > it.
I somewhere read something about it fitting into pidgin or empathy, but I would have to dig that up again. It would be nice to have all that in one interface.
> However, Google Chat allows voice-talk, and it works really well. The > video conference support is more immature, but I hope it will work > eventually.
No hurry, still no cam in my office ;-) Thanks! Stefan