From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome 3 instant messaging
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:03:33
1 Am 21.03.2012 22:13, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >> So I have to open empathy and it is not enough to be logged in?
4 >> That was one of my main questions.
5 >
6 > I'm not sure. I think even if you don't open Empathy, it will connect
7 > you, and then you will receive messages through the notification
8 > system.
9
10 ok, I see. Gotta test that.
11
12 >> I already added the account successfully already, I just have to check
13 >> out how to find rooms (if there are one there ?)
14 >
15 > Mmmh. Google Chat is not like IRChat. It's more like messenger; you
16 > have your contacts, and you can chat with them and them with you.
17
18 I see. More of a concept understanding problem here, I see ;-)
19
20 >> Is it possible to get skype into this as well?
21 >
22 > No, and I don't think it will ever be possible. Skype uses a
23 > proprietary protocol, and (AFAIK), there are not 3rd-party clients for
24 > it.
25
26 I somewhere read something about it fitting into pidgin or empathy, but
27 I would have to dig that up again. It would be nice to have all that in
28 one interface.
29
30 > However, Google Chat allows voice-talk, and it works really well. The
31 > video conference support is more immature, but I hope it will work
32 > eventually.
33
34 No hurry, still no cam in my office ;-)
35
36 Thanks! Stefan