From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Backup
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:13:24
1 Ron Petch posted <41965D90.5030404@××××××××××××××××.au>, excerpted below,
2 on Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:16:32 +0000:
3
4 > Any simple suggestion as to how to backup Gentoo? A complete tar bz2
5 > gives about 2.5Gb. What are the essentials to avoid having to go through
6 > the whole compilation sequence?
7
8 If your objective is simply to avoid the recompilation, not to save any
9 customized configuration, use portages binary package feature. First,
10 quickpkg every package currently installed (here, I whipped up a little
11 script that went thru /var/db/pkg (the portage 2.0.51 location) and
12 ran quickpkg for each file), to get your current base, then add buildpkg
13 to your FEATURES line in make.conf. That way, every package you emerge
14 will automatically have a binary package created in the process. (With
15 buildpkg, emerge actually creates the binary package, then merges it
16 instead of doing a qmerge from the temp install dir. That way, it tests
17 each binary package as it's created so it's known to work when needed
18 later.)
19
20 Binary packages are stored in the $PKGDIR location as in make.conf, by
21 default /usr/portage/package or some such (mine isn't the default), so
22 ensure you have plenty of room in that partition, or remap it elsewhere by
23 setting that variable.
24
25 Binary packages can be emerged using the -k or -K switches. (-k uses a
26 binary package if it exists, doing a source emerge if not, while -K uses
27 ONLY binary packages, using an older one if a new one isn't available yet,
28 or yielding an error if there's NO qualifying binary package.)
29
30 Here, for backup, I actually have four installations, a "working"
31 installation, and a backup, on two drives, a "working" drive and a backup.
32 On each drive, I have duplicate root and /usr partitions, such that if the
33 working partition fails due to a bad update or something, I simply reboot
34 and hand LILO (which I use rather than GRUB) the root=/dev/hda3 parameter
35 instead of letting it use the default hda2. For /usr, I can just umount
36 the failed /usr and mount the backup, if necessary.
37
38 If the drive fails, or the master boot record gets screwed so it won't
39 boot, I set my BIOS to boot the other drive, which again has a working and
40 a backup partition for both root and /usr.
41
42 Every so often, when the system is stable, I mirror off my root and /usr
43 partitions to the backup copy. Once or twice a year or if I change file
44 system formats (as I'll likely be doing in a few months when I switch from
45 reiserfs to reiser4), I back up a known stable installation to the working
46 and backup partitions on the backup drive.
47
48 That's in addition to keeping a copy of my portage partitions (separate
49 partitions for portage, packages, and sources) on each drive, such that I
50 should be able to rebuild from binary packages for the most part, if
51 necessary, as well as copies of /var, /usr/local/ and /home, on each
52 drive. These, however, I only have two copies of, one on the working
53 drive one on the backup, as I don't actually /have/ to have that data to
54 get operational enough to recover it.
55
56 Oh, I actually have eight copies of my partition tables and fstabs, two
57 each on each of the four root partitions.
61 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
62 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
63 Benjamin Franklin
68 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list